- part two -

Layla and The Pogues have made it back to the chateau. Layla got out of the Twinkie with Marto and walked to the backyard, the others following shortly behind her. They went inside the chateau and sat down, looking around at each other. Layla checked the time on her phone, it was 6:00 PM.

"Guys, we can't keep that money.." Kiara shrugged.
"Not all of us can't afford unlimited data plans, Kiara." JJ glanced at her.

Kiara rolled her eyes in response.

"We have to pass it off to Lana Grubbs... otherwise, it's bad karma" Kiara sighed.
"Oh boy..." JJ sighed back in annoyance.
"Bad karma to be implicated in a felony too.. we have to go dark." Pope scoffed and leaned back in his chair.
"If that means we get to keep the money.. then ok, I agree" JJ shrugged.

John B shook his head.

"I don't agree..." He disagreed, making JJ look at him weirdly.
"Why?!" JJ squinted.
"Scooter Grubbs bought individual cigarettes at the Porthole. I once saw him at the Save-A-Lot begging for change for some gas. He was a dirtbag marina rat who never had more than forty dollars. And he suddenly has a brand new Grady White?" John B explained.

Everyone let this sink in.

"Around here, there's only one way marina rats get Grady Whites.. Square grouper, bro. Radar detection and aerial surveys aren't conducted during storms. Everyone knows that. It's a free pass. As long as you survive" John B continued.
"He was smuggling" JJ nodded.

John B looked around at everyone.

"I'm thinking there's some serious contraband in that wreck." John B hummed.

JJ got excited. Pope put a hand on his head.

"Shoot me now" Pope sighed.
"It's our ticket." John B shrugged.

Kiara started to warm up to the idea. Layla was kind of hesitant.

"If we get what we think is in there, we could pass some of it off to Lana Grubbs. We could get a lawyer for you, John B. We could fly Uncle T back and then you'll have a guardian for your DCS meeting." Kiara explained, taking the idea into consideration.

Layla squinted.

"Uncle T? DCS meeting?... what?" Layla was very confused.
"Oh sorry... you're new... you need a lot of filling in.... Uncle T is my uncle, and I'm dealing with DCS." John B informed her.
"Which is?" Layla raised an eyebrow.
"Department of Child Safety... I'm considered to not have a guardian since my uncle is in Mississippi. So they're pretty much slowly trying to take me away" John B giggled.
"Oh wow." Layla raised her eyebrows.

JJ clapped to get everyone's attention.

"So.. we can save John B's life and be good friends, and help a grieving widow.... Or be wussies with merit scholarships." JJ raised an eyebrow.

JJ glanced at Pope.

"Your choice, dude." JJ shrugged.

Pope rolled his eyes at that.

"Well who's in?" John B shrugged.
"I'm in" JJ shrugged.
"I'm in too." Kiara nodded.

JJ looked at Layla and Pope.

"There's only two people we haven't heard from yet." JJ crossed his arms.

John B and Kiara looked at Layla and Pope.

"Well, for the record, if that's a smuggling boat with illegal contraband inside, it belongs to someone else. Taking it would be catastrophically stupid." Pope scoffed.
"Stupid things have good outcomes all the time.. look at the pop charts. Right now, we just have to find a way to get into it. Until then, be cool and act normal." JJ shrugged.
"If we act too normal, everyone will know somethings up." Pope squinted.
"Normal for us" John B chuckled.
"Which is what exactly?" Pope raised an eyebrow.

They all start thinking.

"How about a kegger?" Kiara pitched an idea.

Everyone agreed. JJ raised an eyebrow at Pope.

"So You never answered my question.. are you in or not?" JJ asked him.

Pope thought about it for a little while before answering.

"Fine." Pope finally sighed.
"That's my boy!" JJ smiled.

John B looked at Layla.

"What about you?" He asked her.

They all looked at Layla as she pet Marto while thinking.

"My parents would kill me if they found out..." Layla sighed.
"C'mon... you've already broke into a hotel room with us... you're already in trouble technically... you're already involved" JJ shrugged.
"True... but this is different." Layla sighed.

Layla looked at John B.

"You really don't have to if you don't feel comfortable.. but we'd really like if you stuck with us" John B shrugged with a faint smile.
"Yeah! We like your company, you're a fun person" Kiara smiled.
"Agreed" JJ and Pope said in unison.

Layla smiled and squinted.

"Screw it, you only live once.. right?" Layla smirked.
"Exactly!" JJ clapped.
"But about the... kegger... whatever that is.... If y'all are having it tonight, i don't know if I'll be able to come. I have less than 3 hours now until i have to go home" Layla frowned.
"Text your mom and ask if you can have extra time, tell her we invited you to a party, which is pretty much what a kegger is, and we'd love for you to come." Kiara shrugged.
"I can ask but no promises." Layla sighed.

Layla pulled out her phone and put Marto down, letting him run around the chateau while she texted Claire.

——————————————————————————

                                   Layla
Hey.. so i know you said my curfew my 9 PM.. but my new friends just asked if i would want to go to a kegger with them.. can you extend my time to maybe 11 or 12?

                                  Claire
Layla, i don't know if i feel comfortable with you getting home that late.. also, what's a kegger?

                                   Layla
a kegger is pretty much a party, it's just a different name. But mama please!! I promise I'll be safe and careful!

                                   Claire
Fine... but if you do something stupid, I'm gonna kill you myself. Also, bring Marto home first, i don't want you losing him.. 🙄

                                     Layla
               Thank you mama! I love you ❤️

                                     Claire
                Yeah yeah... love you too 😑❤️

——————————————————————————

"Guysss!" Layla squealed with a big smile.
"Yeahhhhh?!" Kiara raised an eyebrow.
"Mom said yes." Layla giggled.

JJ clapped.

"Yes! You're mamas a real one" JJ cheered.
"Yeah, she is." Layla giggled.
"Well how about we go get some stuff for the kegger? After we drop Mr. Marto off first" John B shrugged.
"Sounds good" Layla agreed.

Everyone got up and ran out to the Twinkie. As John B was about to get in the drivers seat, Layla stopped him.

"Hey, can I drive? It would be easier than having to give you directions" Layla smiled.
"Can you drive?" John B giggled.
"Well duh, I wouldn't have asked if I couldn't." Layla chuckled.
"Fine, but if we die, it's on you" John B winked.

John B handed her the keys and Layla gave him Marto. John B got in the passenger seat while Layla got in the drivers seat. JJ, Kiara, and Pope got in the back. Layla started the Twinkie and began to drive to her house.