eleven

"C'mon man it's senior year, you haven't gone to one party yet, don't tell me you're gonna ditch out on this one too." Gilinsky says sitting on my bed throwing a plush basketball up and down in the air.

"Look I just need to stay here and study for a bit, refresh my brain on some Science, History, study Spanish."

"Fuck Spanish," He says throwing the vocab cards I had just picked up off my desk and letting them scatter all of the floor. He grabs me by the shoulders and shakes me. "You. Need. To. Go. To. A Party."

"No.... I. Need. To. Get. Out. Of. High. School. Immediately."

"Well while you're waiting to get out of high school, you should go to this party." I roll my eyes and start picking the study materials off the floor back into their neat pile and carelessly throw them onto my nightstand. Going to this party wouldn't hurt I guess, I mean it's just one night. And I need to get my mind off things. I know that if I did stay here rather than going to the party with G I'd have Emily on my mind the entire time. Which is what I don't need.

It's been a month since the 'fight' or whatever weak exchange of words you want to call it happened between Sammy and I. A month since Em and I spent the best night of my life together.... a month since they Emily forgave him the next day. Ugh. It made my head hurt just thinking about their relationship.

"I guess..." I say letting my voice trail off. Jack gets hype off my answer and starts jumping around.

"Alright man, tonight's gonna be so fun, you won't regret it. Everyone from our grade is gonna be there."

"Everyone?" I question. He knew exactly what I meant when I said everyone too. I meant, 'Including Sam and Em?'

"Look, I know what you're thinking, 'if they're there this party is going to be torture' but just think think about the hundreds of other kids that are going to be there too." He says using his hands to get his point across. It can't be that bad, I mean they might not even go. We make a few moments of eye contact, Jack raises his eyebrows and we both fall into laughter.

"Okay, whatever I'll go." I say giving him more satisfaction.

"Good. Bro, I heard Alexandria is going to be there and..." He stops and puts his hand on my chest smiles while nodding.

"God, why don't you just ask her out already?" My annoyed tone pulls him back a bit. If I wasn't so involved in my own love life, I would've pushed him into asking her a month ago. He talked about her at the most random times and loved bringing her up.

"Look, she's been hanging around Shawn lately, I'm just gonna have fun with her tonight." I shoot him a look.

"No, not sex kind of fun." I roll my eyes at him and then get up and start digging through my closet for some nice and presentable casual clothes. Being that I hadn't gone anywhere but the court and school for the past two months has made me realize that it's time for some new clothes. I take off my plain Westside shirt and throw on a red shirt with Omaha labeled on the front.

"Whatever, just talk to her for more than 5 minutes and don't mysteriously disappear because things don't go as planned."

"Don't worry man. Tonight is gonna be... fun"

-

The room moves along with the bodies that consume it, an up and down rhythmic bouncing movement that coincides with the loud music being played. I follow Jack to the back of the house which he somehow knows his way around. Sweaty and hot bodies collide with mind as I try to make my way through the crowd. We finally encounter a tiled room less crowded with beers and other drinks on the counter.