Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Ciera

Jordyn's POV:

  I love sitting out on our porch swing at dawn.  The fields are so majestic in the summertime.  Suddenly I hear a deep voice drawl, "Hey, darlin'."

    I smiled as I turned toward the fence to see Scotty, dressed in a white T-shirt, jeans, and brown cowboy boots.  "Hey, Scotty.  Come on over."

    Scotty climbed over the old wooden fence that surrounds the vast green farmland I call home and came and sat beside me.  "It's a beautiful day, isn't it?"  he asked, looking up at the sky.

    "Yes, it is."  I looked into his piercing blue eyes, and couldn't help but smile. My eyes darted away quickly before Scotty noticed I was staring at him.  "Can I get you some sweet tea?" I asked.

    "Alright, that sounds great!"  I went inside my house to mix up  some sweet tea. 

Scotty's POV:

  I noted Jordyn walk into her house.  Dagum, she looked adorable in her powder-pink, flowered sundress and tan/white floral cowgirl boots. Her eyes are the warmest carmel-brown I've ever seen.  She's kind, helpful, and has the smile of an angel.  I think I love her, but there's no way to show it. Anyway, I'm afraid it will ruin our friendship.  She can't possibly feel the same way, can she?  I'm so grateful to have a best friend like her.  How did I get so lucky?

Jordyn's POV:

  I exited buliding and handed Scotty his tea. "Here, now don't spill.... you'll have a heck of a stain." 

  He grinned. "Thanks, we wouldn't want that, now would we?"

    "No, we would not. Hey, I was going to go horseback riding, ya wanna  come?" 

  He smiled even bigger. "Yeah, I would like that." 

   "Let's go then!"   Just then he grabbed my hand. That gave me butterflies.

Scotty's POV:

I reached for Jordyn's hand. I'm not sure why, but I'm glad she didn't pull away. Otherwise I'd feel EXTREMELY STUPID!!!!

Jordyn's POV:

  We stepped inside the barn.  Scotty and I go horseback riding ALL the time, so we knew exactly what to do.  He went to saddle up Rusty, my gentle, chesnut-colored stallion.  I went to saddle up Bluebell, my carefree, golden-tan  mare.  They wouldn't harm a fly (unless they do by accident with their tails, that doesn't count).  We saddled up on my friendly beauties and galloped onto the dirt road connecting my family's farm to the empty, scenic countryside (I know you thought I was gunna say "into the sunset" instead of the whole thang about the road.... NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!)

  We had been riding for about a half an hour when I heard a sound like that of a maraca.  Bluebell started thrashing around like crazy. "WHOA, B.B., WHOA!!!" I couldn  I was losing my grip.  The next thing I knew I fell, and hit the dirt and rolled a few feet from Bluebell.  Scotty jumped off Rusty, and managed to get Bluebell under control.  He ran over to me and asked, "Are you okay?" a look of panic in his eyes.  "I think so," I said.  "Are you hurt?"  "Just my ankle is all."  "Can you walk?"  "I'll try."  Scotty helped me to my feet, and I took a step, but pain shot all the way up my right leg and I crumpled to the ground.  "Jordyn, we have to get you to the hospital and get this checked out.  I'll call your mom and tell her to get Rusty and Bluebell, and I'll drive you.  Here, put your arms around me."  I blushed embarrassed, but did as I was told.  Scotty picked me up and carried me to his truck, putting me in the passenger seat.