Chapter 5

2 weeks later....

Jordyn's POV:

   I was outside this afternoon doing some chores after lunch. The sun was beating down hard on my back as I exercised Rusty out in the pasture. I knew Scotty was coming over later, so I wanted to be done with chores by the time he got here.

   A couple hours later I saw Scotty's truck pull into my driveway. I smiled, but I suddenly felt dizzy and weak.

   "Hey, Jordyn," Scotty said wrapping me in a tight hug.

   "Hi," I said weakly.

   "What's wrong?"

   "Nothing...I'm just dizzy. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about."

   "Jordyn..."

   I tried to respond, but no sound came out. Next thing I knew, I collasped and everything went black.

   I heard the sound of beeping coming from somewhere behind me. I opened my eyes and blinked, trying to make sense of where I was. I looked down at a bed realizing I was in a hospital. I looked off to the side to see Scotty sitting in a chair next to my bed, his head down and his hands folded in his lap.

   "Scotty..." I said, my voice barely a whisper.

   He jolted upright.

   "Jordyn, how do you feel?"

   "Fine, but a little thirsty."

   Scotty handed me a styrofom cup. I swished the water around in my dry mouth. It felt cool and refreshing.

   "What happened?" I asked.

   "You got dehydrated from working out in the heat, so I rushed you over here. I already called your parents at work and they will be here as soon as they can."

  "Dehydrated?"

  "Yeah, you know when your body goes without..." Scotty started to explain, his eyes gleaming with playfulness.

  I cut him off, rolling my eyes.  "I know what dehydrated means.  I meant I don't know how it happened."

  "You mean you don't remember?"

  "No. I don't.  I remember being excited about you coming over, and I remember working with Rusty  outside after lunch..."  I stopped, memories flooded through my mind; the heat, me rushing because Scotty was coming over.  I thought I had went inside to get water, but I guess I hadn't.

  "I...I..." My voice broke.  Tears welled up in my eyes.

  "Jordyn? What's wrong?"  Scotty took my hand in his, and made small circles with his thumb across the back of my hand.

  "I'm so sorry.  I should've went inside to get some water.  I wasn't thinking.  I didn't want you to worry about me.  I was just so excited for you to come over I...." I was crying now.  Scotty leaned over and kissed me.  It was soft, gentle, and so unexpected.  When he sat back into the chair he looked at me, to the floor, and back at me again.

  "Wow," I said my cheeks turning bright pink.  "You know you could've just told me to calm down and stop talking?"

  "I know, but this just seemed like the better option," Scotty grinned, but I could tell he was embarrassed.    

  "You don't have to be embarrassed about it.  I liked it."

  "You did?"

  "Yeah.  I've never kissed a boy before.  This was my first kiss."