Eye for eye

"Waiting, hiding...that's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us. Hide and heal."  Cora says

"Okay, so is two days standard then? Or we thinking Derek's on like some extended getaway?" Hope asks

"Why do you care?"

"Let's see, because, over the last few weeks, my best friend's tried to kill himself, his boss nearly got ritually sacrificed, Boyd was killed the same way my mom was, in order to protect me

"Let's see, because, over the last few weeks, my best friend's tried to kill himself, his boss nearly got ritually sacrificed, Boyd was killed the same way my mom was, in order to protect me. You want me to keep going? Cause I can, all right?"

"You think Derek can do anything about that?"

"Well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it."

"I don't know. There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when I knew him."

"What was he like?"

"Try to remember."

"A lot like Scott, actually. A lot like most teenagers. Unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic..." Peter comes in the room

"And what changed him, then?"

"The same thing that changes a lot of young man. A girl."

"You're telling me some little girl broke his heart? That's why Derek is the way he is?"

"Do you remember Derek before he was an Alpha had blue eyes? Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes? In order to understand what changed him, you need to know why his eye color changed."

Flashback

Derek was a sophomore boy who met Paige, a girl who was just trying to practice to her violin.

End of flashback

"Okay, so if Derek was a sophomore back then, how old was he? How old were you? How old are you now?" Hope asks

"Not as young as we could have been, but not as old as you might think."

"Okay, that was frustratingly vague. How old are you?" She asks Cora

"I'm 17." She answers

"See? That's an answer. Whatever...what happened to them?"

"What do you think it happened? They are teenagers. One minute it's "I hate you, don't talk to me." The next it's frantic groping in any dark corner they could manage to find themselves alone for five minutes." Peter says

"Hold on. How do you know all of this?"

"Back then, I wasn't just Derek's uncle. I was his best friend. His closest confidante."

After Peter tells Hope about the revenge thing:

"So, you guys take the whole revenge to like a new level, don't you?" Hope asks

"It's not just revenge. Losing a member of your pack isn't like losing family. It's like losing your limb." Cora says

"They wouldn't even let him see the body." Peter says

"I don't get it. What does this have to do with Derek?"

"Everything. Kt's never just a single moment. It's a confluence of events. Personally, I looked at Ennis' circumstances. I saw profound loss. Derek saw something different. He saw opportunity."

"To do what?" Hope asks

"To always be with her. The thing was, he had this constant fear. He was obsessing over it, thinking about it all night, all day. Always on his mind. I kept telling him not to do it. Every day the more he thought about it, the more convinced he became. You know teenagers. I bet he even blames me. He's probably convinced himself the whole thing was my idea."

"They keep us connected, but they're a secret even in the pack. Sometimes, only the Alpha knows who the emissary is. Derek and I had no idea about Deaton." Cora says

"Or his sister, Morell."

"She's an emissary, too?" Hope asks

"For the Alpha pack."

"Our guidance counselor? Oh...I have some bad news for Stiles..."

"So, I chose Ennis." Peter says

"Ennis? Why would you choose Ennis?" Cora asks

"Why not? Ennis needed a new member for his pack. Paige was young and strong. Doing a favor for Derek meant Ennis would be in good with Talia. Back then, everybody wanted to be in good with her."

"He doesn't remember it was Ennis, does he?" Hope asks

"If he does, he keeps it to himself."

"So, the what happened? Did he turn her?"

"Almost. He came at Ennis. A 15 year old boy against a giant. There was no reason to fight. She was already bitten."

"So, did she turn?" Cora asks

"She should have. Most of the times, the bite takes. Most of the time. It doesn't matter that she was young and strong. Some people aren't made for this. She fought. Trying to survive. I remember taking her body from his arms to the woods, to a place where I knew that would be found. Another in a long line of Beacon Hills animal attacks."

And what about Derek?" Cora asks

"Taking an innocent life takes something from you as well. Bit of your soul. Darkening it. Dimming the once brilliant golden yellow to a cold, steel blue. Like mine." And his eyes glow.

Hope goes in a corner to think.

"What?" Cora asks her "What's this look on your face?"

"What look?"

"The kind of look that makes me punch you."

"Oh, my God. You're so Derek's sister. It makes me wanna punch you as well."

"What is with the look?"

"I just think the story is not complete

"I just think the story is not complete. I mean, even with the innocent part. Like, I became a werewolf because I killed someone innocent."

"Well, it depends on your roots. You are not just any werewolf, you are a tribrid, so, in order to maintain a balance in the universe, I guess you can't get your powers at once."

"I still wanna ask Derek about it."

"You sure it's a good idea?"

"If I have to, then yeah."