You Belong To Me

"You ready?" I ask, my hands holding onto the fabric covering the large cardboard print of Trixie's new album cover.

The album is only one song away from being finished and the deadline is just days away, so we really need to settle on the artwork as soon as possible.

"Yes! Show me! Show me!" Trixie says, jumping up and down like a little kid.

"Trixie, please remember that we still need the board to sign off on the cover, so don't get too excited." Courtney warns gently.

"Oh shush." Trixie simply replies before turning her attention back to me. "Show me!"

"Three, two, one, ta-da!" I announce, holding my breath as I nervously await her reaction.

Trixie's eyes widen as she takes in the graceful golden letters spelling out "Just Trixie" sitting beneath a painting of her with barely any makeup on and only a sheer robe covering her form. It wasn't my first idea for the cover, and far from the plan I had with the painting once I first made it, but somehow it just felt right. This album is supposed to show Trixie in her truest form after all, the girl behind all the glitz and glamour, the Trixie that she herself had attempted to hide, and so a nearly bare-faced Trixie in a simple, sheer, white robe seemed more fitting than anything else.

"What do you think?" I ask after a few moments of silence.

"Ka-Katya..." Trixie whispers, a tear rolling down her cheek as her fingers gently trace the lines of the painting. "It's beautiful... so beautiful."

"Do you really like it?"

"Yes, it's perfect. It's me, like really truly me." She says in awe. I smile in relief and walk over to her, wrapping my arms around her waist and kissing the top of her head lovingly.

"It is truly stunning work, Katya. Well done." Courtney says honestly.

"Thank you, Courtney. Do you think they'll accept it?" I ask.

It is a risk for Trixie to release something like this, and I know it's far from the type of risk the board of the company were hoping for when they hired me. Still, I believe in my art and more importantly I believe in Trixie's. Her songs for the album are stunning, so raw and honest, and I trust that people will hear that and praise her for it. But it is a risk, I know that. It is far from the musical voice her audience is used to hearing, and so the board can easily block the record from being released purely out of fear.

"It will be a bit of a sell, but I believe they will. I might have to put my job on the line to make it happen, but I will for this." Courtney says.

"Really?" Trixie asks.

"Of course, Trixie. This album is like you showing your true soul, I'd be a pretty piece of shit manager if I didn't fight for the world to hear it."

"You're the best!" Trixie replies with a huge smile.

"What about me?" I say with a pout.

"Oh shut up, you know I love you." She says, rolling her eyes.

"I know, but I love hearing you say it over and over again." I reply as I hug her tighter.

"You're an idiot." Trixie says with a laugh.

"Yeah, but I'm your idiot."

"I'm gonna leave the two of you alone and go try and sell this to the board." Courtney says before she heads out the door with a knowing look.

"See? You scared her away, idiot." Trixie jokes.

"You do that on a daily basis, if she's not too traumatized to work for you yet, my idiocy won't do her any harm." I reply.

"Touché."

I turn Trixie around in my arms and pull her in for a kiss, her hands soon going up into my hair as she deepens it. My hands slide down to her lower back and I press her against me more firmly, never truly able to hold her close enough. In a way holding Trixie like this still feels like a dream, like something that shouldn't be possible.

"Kat?" Trixie says once we pull away.

"Yeah?"

"I think I wanna release the song."

"What song?" I ask.

"This Town, the song I sang that day in the classroom, I wanna put it on the record." Trixie says.

"Trixie, are you serious? That's amazing!" I say, completely ecstatic.

Despite Trixie writing countless beautiful songs and the album sounding amazing, I don't think I would ever think of it as complete without that song. It was practically the reason for her to release an album like this to begin with, the song that started it all, it belongs on that record.

"And there's another song..."

"Another one? You know you only need one more for the album to be done, right?" I tell her.

"I know, but this one belongs on it, that one and This Town is a package deal." Trixie says.

"I see, so what's it about?" I ask.

"You."

"What?"

"It's about you. It's the first song I ever wrote about you, or well what I thought being with you would be like. I started writing it after that day in the classroom, and then I kept on writing it when I left town. I wasn't sure about my decision to leave, even though I knew I wanted to make music and it was probably my only chance if I wanted a future doing that, but then I thought that as long as I could have the memories of you in my head then I'd be able to make it through no matter where I was. You gave me hope, a feeling of home when my own house didn't feel like it." She explains.

"What's it called?" I ask.

"You Belong With Me, I wasn't kidding when I said I'd wanted to kiss you since forever. You know the words that are engraved on my guitar?" Trixie says.

Of course I do. I remember journalist after journalist asking her about the meaning behind those words and Trixie's constant refusals to talk about it. I remember the crazy fan theories about it that spread around Twitter like wildfire. The countless videos of fans who'd ask her about it at meet&greets. But no one could ever get an answer out of Trixie regarding those nine words no matter how much they tried.

"They're lyrics from that song." She says and then she starts to sing a short excerpt.

"What if i lose the light heading home
If i forget how the song used to go...
And you remind me I already know
And you belong to me

And I breathe you in the morning
And I move with you at night
And oooh when you kiss me
If I could fly I'd take you with me
Up to the stars and we'll name them as we go oh oh
Up to the stars and we'll name them as we go"

"Oh Trix, I do belong to you. Always have, always will." I say with tears in my eyes before I pull her in for another kiss, thanking the skies above, the universe, or whatever God it was that sent Trixie back into my life.