Chapter Twenty

Most people measure the success of an event by whatever rumours are spread about it. Apollo, on the other hand, has always preferred to quantify said success by assessing just how bad next day's headaches are.

And to his delight, his granddaughter's gala is yet another victory for him and his hosting skills. The sight before him tells him that much, especially because Olympia and her friends are sprawled all over the furniture and rug of the otherwise empty drawing room. Each of them is still dressed in their nightgowns, a clear sign that even after the party came to an end, their own little meeting kept running late.

Apollo can't help but snort and shake his head as he listens to the complaints and whines coming from each and every teen.

"I can still taste the fire whiskey on my tongue." Blaise gags, head supported by the coffee table as one of his hands goes to cover his mouth.

Next to him, both Draco and Olympia, who had been resting on each other as though pillars, begin to scoot away from him — The sneaky action causes the Zabini heir to glare at them.

"We can smell it coming off of you too." Theodore murmurs with his eyes closed. He's laying on the rug on his back while remaining at arm's length from both Rosier cousins.

"That's not true." Blaise scoffs before sniffing the air around him. "Is it?" He looks up to the couch where both Greengrass sisters and Pansy rest.

On the sofa, the only one truly awake is Astoria. The youngest Slytherin just chuckles at the question as she sends Blaise a kind glance of her baby, blue eyes. "Don't mind Theo, he's just bitter."

"Isn't he always?" Draco's words make Olympia burst a laugh into her open palm.

Theodore's eyes playfully narrow, his arm stretching to pinch the girl's ankle. "Watch it."

Olympia yelps at the sharp sting before bursting into a fit of drowsy giggles, the action makes her head pound but the joy of the moment is too great for her to actually acknowledge anything else.

Meanwhile, the loudness of her laugh makes Daphne and Pansy wake up from their slumber. Both girls yawn and rub their eyes in synchronised movements before joining in the conversation. None of them seem to notice Apollo standing by the threshold as he watches them with a smile, recalling earlier years when Xenia would bring her own friends over for the holidays and how they too would wake up with terrible headaches but great stories to tell.

"Morning, children." He finally makes his presence known. "Well, don't you all look dashing." He jokes, lips curling in mirth at the sight of bloodshot eyes.

Olympia smiles at the sound of her grandfather's voice as she notices his attire, from perfectly fitted robes to freshly polished shoes.

"You certainly do." She lifts an eyebrow in question, humming to herself when Apollo drops a kiss on the very top of her head. "What's the occasion?"

Her grandfather waves a hand in dismissal, straightening himself before glancing at his watch. "I am off to see some of my friends for breakfast, I'll be back before sundown." He stops and turns to bid farewell to the rest. "I'll leave you all to your doings, I'd say goodbye but I suppose we will see each other come Saturday."

Everyone groans at the mention of Cornelius' party.

Apollo rolls his eyes at their whining while Olympia bids him farewell. "Be safe and send my greetings to your lot." She rises to her feet and kisses his cheek, smelling his intimate scent of rosemary, firewhiskey, and cigars.

"I will, my dear. I will."

In the blink of an eye, Apollo leaves the drawing room followed by the familiar crack of disapparition. Olympia and the rest stay behind, their day going by rather quickly, from breakfast to lunch until it's time for them to leave the Manor and return to their own families' estates.