Chapter Twelve

- The following day, Friday -

I waited, what felt like, eons for him to arrive. Really it was 15 minutes, but I had to face the facts. He was not going to show up.

Now I don't know if he was running late or he just didn't care enough, but either way the tears building up in my eyes were yet to cease. I was sitting in a booth at the back corner of the coffee shop. I was told not to order until he arrived. I squeezed my hands together to stop the shaking. But they didn't - couldn't- stop.

The waitress working there flashed me a concerned smile. Well this is humiliating. I looked down, more tears were threatening to spill over.

Okay, I told myself, just breathe deeply, don't fall open and apart.

Just then there was the sound or a throat clearing. I blinked and looked up.

"You're here." I nodded. "I'm sorry I got caught up with something."

"It's okay, how are you Grayson?" I shot him what was supposed to be a smile but I was pretty sure it just looked like a grimace.

"I'm good...but that doesn't matter. How are you?" He sat down and stretched his hand out so it was half between us. He always did this when we were younger, it was our thing.

I kept my hands in place this time.

"I'm getting better," I avoid looking at his new hurt expression. He nodded grimly like he was thinking hard.

"I have been meaning to text you sooner Peyton I swear, but I have been so busy with schoolwork and-" He hesitated, "my parents are going through a divorce. It's hard, śhît I'm sorry." He ran his fingers through his soft brown hair. He looked so tired and lost. My heart ached for him. My heart ached to hug him tightly and never let go.

But things have changed since last year. So I stayed still.

"It's okay really" He looked up at me, "I'm not mad. I just-"

Hot tears fell from my eyes, streaming down my cheeks as I shook my head. Each tear took over my body, making my chest hurt with sadness. He pulled me into a hug and held me.

"I just have missed you so much. When you left I had nobody...I had nobody for so long Grayson. I hated myself, I hated everything. I needed you, and you left." I sobbed repeating the words, feeling every bad thought I ever had- pour out in the open.

I looked up at his starry hazel-amber eyes that were now rimmed with red, and his cheeks were too streaked with tears. The image breaking my heart even more. But in that moment I finally forgave him.

He looked down at me and whispered, "I will do anything to make it up to you. I just want you to be happy Peyton."

I nodded, feeling my lips form into a small smile. He lightly brushed his thumb underneath my eye, wiping my tears. He gave a smile back and hugged me tighter for a few minutes.

"I know what will cheer you up," he looked down at me with a mellow expression, "movies and snacks."

He laughed when a huge smile stretched out onto my lips.

•.•.•.•

"Let's see, how about Godzilla?" Grayson asked. I shook my head and made a sound of disapproval.

"Okay...Mean Girls?" We both glanced at each other and then burst out laughing. There was no way Grayson will endure almost two hours of watching 5 girls bitch about each other. But the thought was damn funny.

"I know what we can watch!" I suddenly jumped up and snatched the remote control from his hands.

He chuckled when he saw my pick, "Spider Man, really?" I nodded. "I had no idea you were into action movies," he teased.