Chapter Two

Chapter Two

My eyes peeled open. I blinked a couple of times to clear my vision. I rubbed my eyes, they were tired and crusty. I looked around. Where was I? The room was small, the lighting was artificial and cold. Tubes and oxygen tanks were attached to my cold, lifeless body. I felt weak and sore. I looked down at my body which was dressed in a pale green hospital gown. My hands looked almost purple. My head throbbed, the pain excruciating. My neck felt tight and uncomfortably tense.

What happened? Nurses were surrounding the bed I was laying on, noting things down on clipboards. They were wearing green uniforms. The horrifying events that occurred last night flashed in my head. I cringed at the thought.

A nurse with brown eyes and black hair smiled gently before walking towards me.

"Good morning Peyton, my name is Sara I will be taking care of you till you are fully recovered." I nodded and smiled wearily.

"Well It seems you have a concussion, a broken rib, bruises internally and externally but other than that you are doing fine at recovery." I nodded once again; to shocked for words.

"How are you feeling Peyton?" Another nurse asked.

"Fine I guess,"

Then something came to my mind. Where is Joanne?

My heart was beating quickly. What if something happened to her?

I tried to shake the thought out of my head. She's fine, I reassured myself. I tried sitting up but a sharp rush of pain went straight from my ribs. I winced. I placed my hand on my face. It felt warm and bruised. I looked at my fingers. Blood was printed on them. I felt weak. I hate blood. The nurse noticed my pain and put some antiseptic on my face. It stung for a while.

"Where is Joanne?" I asked Sara. She seemed hesitant to answer, "Why don't we get you some breakfast?"

I grew impatient, "No, where is she and where is Brett?"

The nurse frowned, "The police arrested him after they saw the scene yesterday. You were laying on the floor unconscious. He tried making a run for it but the police got him before he could. Your foster mom however has been charged for letting that happen and she cannot be your legal guardian anymore. The court hearing will be in a couple of weeks, If the jury decide to change their mind then you will be allowed to live with her. But for now the only thing they can be sure of is that you will be placed in the local orphanage."

A lump grew in my throat. Is this all just a dream?