Chapter Ten

Continuing....

I woke up in the emergency room - eyes peeling themselves open as I slowly take in my surroundings. The room was empty and dimly lit and the clock read that it was about 7.30 pm.

I looked over at my right arm which had a drip attached to it, I sighed, once again I was in the hospital completely clueless.
I tried making out what had happened after I ran out of the courthouse, but my body ached and my heart felt tired.

"She's awake," I heard somebody whisper.

"About time," another voice muttered.

I heard a light thump and an ouch, so I laughed lightly, "guys I'm not deaf you know?"

Scarlett and Autumn stood on either side of the bed and smiled at me. I looked at both of them and smiled back. I was genuinely glad to see them, they always knew how to cheer me up.

"How are you feeling Pey?" Scarlett asked, looking at my face as if she was trying to read it.

"I'm fine, just a little hot."

"I'll tell the nurse to bring you some ice chips," Autumn said squeezing my hand lightly, before leaving the room.

Scarlett sat on one of the chairs beside my bed, and sighed, "this room is so depressing, I can't even imagine how you must be feeling."

I chuckled, "yeah it is pretty bad."

Things felt awkward, so I decided to ask the question that has been spinning in my mind ever since I woke up.

"What happened with the case?"

Her eyes widened, and she stayed quiet for a couple of seconds before breathing deeply and saying, "nobody really knows Peyton. The Judge Party dismissed the case 5 minutes after you left, but the only thing that is sure right now is that Joanne has to do 150 hours of community service and attend rehabilitation."

I frowned, "community service?"

"For now. Just remember that in those 3 months that you have left until the next court hearing the police will be interviewing every single person that is relevant in this case individually. Including Brett." She reassured me, looking straight in my eyes, "You will have justice Peyton."

I nodded but I felt the stress building up inside of me. I mentally counted to 50 in my head, trying to get my mind away from all this chaos. I didn't finish though because as if on cue Autumn came in with the container of ice chips and sat beside me.

"What's this?" I gestured towards her.

"Ice chips, I stole them from a big tray outside of the ER. Don't worry, nobody saw." She winked at me cheekily and I couldn't help but laugh.

"No I mean why didn't you just bring a nurse?"

She gave me a confused expression, "there's no need for that now, silly."

I laughed at her cluelessness, shaking my head as she handed me the ice chips.

I scooped up a few spoonfuls, munching on them as the girls continued speaking.

"You know that stud muffin of a guy came past the house before and he asked for you," Autumn added, making me spit the ice out everywhere.

"Gross!" She said wiping it off from her chest with a paper towel.

I however was having a huge coughing fit, but when I did recover (thank god) I blurted out the important questions.

"Mason? He came pass the house? What? Why? When? WHY?"