𝖛𝖎. Human Lightning Rod

MAEVE RETURNS TO the servants' platform, a hollow feeling tearing apart her stomach. Whatever happiness she felt before, about Matt, about this job, about her escape from conscription is completely gone, washed away. She can't bring herself to look back, to see him standing there in fine clothes, dripping with ribbons and medals and the royal airs she hates so much. Like Granger, he bears the badge of the flaming crown, but his is made of dark jet, diamond, and ruby. It winks against the hard black of his uniform. Gone are the drab clothes he wore last night, used to blend in with peasants like Maeve. Now he looks every inch a future king, Silver to the bone. To think she trusted him.

And then there's his brother, perhaps worst of all, who's got nearly the exact same face as him making it all the harder to ignore (when scrutinizing their faces, she came to the conclusion that they must be twins, and she's almost positive that her inference is correct) up on the servant's platform, where there's still a good view of the king's box.

The other servants make way, letting her shuffle to the back of the line for the third time while her head spins. He got her this job, he saved her, saved her family ━ and he is one of them. Worse than one of them. A prince. The prince. The person everyone in this spiral stone monstrosity is here to see.

"All of you have come to honor my son and the kingdom, and so I honor you," King Orion booms, breaking apart her thoughts as if they were glass. He raises his arms, gesturing to the many boxes of people. Though she tries her hardest to keep her eyes on the king, she can't help but let her gaze wander to Matt, glancing at him. He's smiling, but it doesn't reach his eyes.

"I honor your right to rule. The future king, my son, will be of your silverblood, as he will be of mine. Who will claim their right?"

The dark-haired patriarch barks out in response. "I claim Queenstrial!"

All over the spiral, the leaders of the different houses shout in unison. "I claim Queenstrial!" they echo, upholding some tradition Maeve doesn't understand.

The king smiles and nods in approval. "Then it has begun. Lord Turner, if you would."

Orion Sturniolo turns on the spot, looking toward what Maeve can assume is House Turner. The rest of the spiral follow his gaze, their eyes landing on a family dressed in gold striped with black. An older man, his gray hair shot with streaks of white, steps forward. In his strange clothes, he looks like a wasp about to sting. When he twitches his hand, Maeve doesn't know what to expect.

Suddenly, the platform lurches, moving sideways. She can't help but jump, almost knocking into the servant next to her, as they slide along an unseen track. Her heart rises in her throat as she watches the rest of the Spiral Garden spin. Lord Turner is a telky, moving the structure along prebuilt tracks with nothing but the power of his mind.