𝖛𝖎𝖎𝖎. Lady Maeva Aella

LADY MAEVA AELLA, born to Lady Rosa Reagan Aella and Lord Atlas Aella, general of the Iron Legion. Heiress to House Aella. Maeva Aella. Aella.

Her new name echoes in her head as the Red maids prepare her for the coming onslaught. The three girls work quickly and efficiently, never speaking to one another. They don't ask her questions either, even though they must want to. Say nothing, Maeve faintly remembers at the back of her mind. They're not allowed to speak to her, and they certainly aren't allowed to talk about her to anyone else. Even the strange things, the Red things, she's sure they must see.

Over many agonizing minutes, they try to make her suitable, bathing her, styling her, painting her into the silly thing she's supposed to be. The makeup is the worst, especially the thick white paste applied to her skin. They go through three pots of it, covering her face, neck, collarbone, and arms with the glittery wet powder. In the mirror, it looks like the warmth has been leeched from her, as if the powder has covered the heat in her skin. With a gasp, Maeve realizes it's supposed to hide her natural flush, the red bloom in her skin, the red blood. She's pretending to be Silver, and when they finish painting her face, she certainly looks the part. With her newly pale skin and darkened eyes and lips, she looks cold, cruel, a living razor. She looks Silver. She looks beautiful.

And she hates it.

How long will this last? Betrothed to a prince. Even in her head, it sounds crazy ━ the thoughts of fantasies. Because it is. No Silver in their right mind would marry you, let alone a prince of Norta. Not to calm rebellion, not to hide your identity, not for anything.

Then why do this?

When the maids pinch and pull her into a gown, Maeve feels nothing more than a corpse being dressed for her funeral. In all honesty, she knows it's not far from the truth. Red girls do not marry Silver princes. She will never wear a crown or sit on a throne. Something will happen, an accident maybe. A lie will raise her up, and one day another lie will bring her down.

The dress is a dark shade of purple spattered with silver, made of silk and sheer lace. All houses have a color, she recalls, thinking back to the rainbow of families. The colors of Aella, her name her house, must be purple and silver.

When one of the maids reaches for her earrings, trying to take away the last bit of her old life, a surge of fear pulses through her. "Don't touch them!"

The girl jumps back, blinking quickly, and the others freeze at Maeve's outburst.

"Sorry, I ━" A Silver wouldn't apologize, she reminds herself. She clears her throat, collecting herself. "You can change everything else, but leave the earrings."