Chapter Four

Donnie screamed as his foot landed on empty space, his arms waving out for something to grab but finding nothing. He opened his eyes to no avail, seeing only a blur of the environment around him, then nothing as he smacked into the ground, a sharp stab onto his lower plastron.

Was he on... stairs?

"Donnie! Are you okay?!" Leo shouted through the portal.

Donnie dragged his hands under himself and pushed up, blinking, then sighed in relief.

"Yeah, I'm alright," he replied, forcing himself up onto his feet. He rubbed his head and let out a small "Ow..." before turning back to the portal. He stuck his head and arm through, waving the others in.

Retreating from the portal and going down the stairs that they often used as a couch, Donnie took note that Raph was first in line to head through. As soon as he heard the "Woah-!" from Raph, he called out, "Oh yeah, and watch your step."

Within a second, Raph had hit Donnie on the head and growled, "You did that on purpose, you little-"

"Woah, this is your guys' lair?" Nardo said aloud, stepping down from the portal.

"Huh?" Donnie said, turning around. "Oh, yeah. Pretty small compared to yours, though, I'll admit."

"It's still really cool, though," Mikey bragged. "We each got our own room and we have a training dojo, too. Donnie's lab is also connected to the surface so we can go out in the-"

"Yes, thank you, that's enough, Mikey," Donnie cut him off, then laughed as he turned to Tello. "My lab isn't anything special, really."

Tello raised a brow at Donnie in doubt.

"Uh, wait a second," Rael said, the turtles all turning to look at him. He was still in front of the portal, having only moved down a few steps. "Where are your guys' April and Casey?"

They all looked at each other and around the main room of the lair before Donnie got his phone out. "Here, I'll call them."

They all watched in anticipation as Donnie tapped his phone a few times, then held it up to his head.

There was a moment's pause before Donnie spoke. "Hey, April! Where are you guys?"

"Where are we? Where are YOU?! We've been waiting for over an HOUR since you last called us!"

"We had to figure some things out, okay? It's not our fault!" Donnie protested, then sighed. "Just- we have a portal to the lair. We need you guys here soon, before the portal closes. Hurry, please."

"Alright, we'll be there soon," April replied, obviously annoyed. "Bye, Donnie."

"Bye, April. Oh- and bye, Casey. If he's with you, of course."

April hung up before Casey or she could say anything in response. Donnie looked directly at Tello. "I said goodbye to Casey that time, too."

Tello rolled his eyes. "Yes, Donatello, I heard."

"Where are they, Donnie?" Leo asked, stepping towards his brother.

"I'm not sure, she didn't tell me. But they should be here soon."

"Good," Nardo replied, "because this thing isn't gonna stay open much longer."

Donnie looked at Nardo, who was holding his ōdachis in the portal, pushing one against the top of the portal and the other against the bottom. It was a struggle between him and the portal, but he was currently winning.

"Here, let me help," Mikey bounced over to Nardo and took the bottom sword, pushing down with both hands. Nardo switched his left hand up to his other ōdachi and grinned down at Mikey.