Chapter 26

"I'll be fine," I say the next morning. Jace and Simon are sitting at the breakfast table and nodding in agreement. We left the kids to sleep. On the way to the front door, I trip over a pair of shoes.
"Janik! Why does he always have to leave his stuff behind?!" I curse. I open the front door and look into the puzzled faces of four sorcerers.
"What the Archangel is the matter with you?" Ragnor asks, amused. I give him an exasperated look.
"May we come in?" Alec asks cautiously. I nod and step aside.
"The others are in the kitchen," I call after them from the front door. As soon as I walk into the kitchen, I see Magnus with a drink in his hand.
"What's the plan?" Max asks. I look around. Markus is standing next to me and looks down at me questioningly. I'm horrified to notice that I'm the smallest in the room.
"My wife will stay here with you two and the other four and the rest of us will take a closer look at the houses," says Jace. Max looks at his fathers indignantly. "Are you serious? You want to leave Markus and me here and out of boredom let them die? There's nothing to do here," he shouts.
"Oh you won't die of boredom because I have some tasks for you," I say. He gives me an angry look.
"Calm down, little brother. Aunt Clary doesn't want anything from you. She just wanted to cheer you up." Markus tries to calm his brother down. He puts his hand on his forearm.
"Aunt, I'm sorry..."
"It's okay," I tell him soothingly.
"We should start slowly," says Simon. He hasn't said anything until now and slowly gets up. He stops between Alec and Ragnor. "Or do you want to put down roots first?" he asks amused. I watch silently as the boys get ready to leave.
"Please take care of yourselves. I don't want to have to explain to Izzy, Daphne and Catarina how you got hurt." I say at the door. Ragnor looks at Magnus with amusement.
"I didn't know your little red-haired shadowhunter was so upset," he says.
"And I didn't know you had such a sense of humor, even though we've known each other for centuries," Magnus says immediately. I smile.
"Magnus, Ragnor please listen to the other three a little more. They'll kill me otherwise." I beg the warlocks. The two nod. Although I see Jace and Simon shaking their heads in the background. But I ignore their gesture and close the door behind me.