Chapter 6

Nellie's P.O.V.

1 Week Later

"Do you have Any idea what you've done?!" she screams, as I try to turn my face away. "Do you have any idea how this is going to look for me?!"

I simply cower away in my seat and cover my head with my arms, waiting for her to start striking.

Perhaps I should explain. Remember how I hit my breaking point a while ago and ran away to Macy's? And how her family found out my mother had been using me as a human punching bag for... basically my entire life?

Well, her mother put her foot down and called child services. For the past week or so, I've been dealing with legal stuff and who knows what else. Last I heard, my father is flying in to meet with us.

"Haven't I taught you that wanting attention in any way is wrong and shameful?" she huffs. "Besides, you hit the lottery having me as a parent and not him. Your father's family and friends are the worst."

"W- you literally said you wished you could ship me off to live with him the other day!" I point out.

"Yeah? Your grandmother lives in Shakopee and doesn't even know you exist." she says, leaving me in shock.

"I've had family here this whole time and you never said anything?!" I ask, fuming.

Mom quickly pulls into the diner parking lot and turns in her seat to look at me.

"Will you shut up for once, please?!" she bursts. "When we go in, don't go anywhere, don't speak, don't ask for anything. Got it?"

So sit down and shut up. Story of my life.

"Whatever." I mutter.

"Hey!" she grabs my arm, tightly. "Don't screw this up."

She lets me go and I rub my arm up and down. I follow behind her into the diner and down the booths. It's fairly empty, except for two or three other couples.

Mom walks down an empty aisle of booths, except for one guy who was facing away from us.

"You showed up." she says, sitting across from the dude.

"All these years and you never said anything?" he asks.

Wait, where have I heard this voice before?

"Me?! You were supposed to come back after three months!"

"We did." he says. "I want to meet her."

Mom sighs and rolls her eyes.

"Get over here." she says, moving to the other end of the booth.

I take my place beside her but I completely freeze up when I see the man on the other side.

"Oh my goodness, you're Logan from Big Time Rush." I say, speechless.

"Yeah, nice to meet you." he smiles. "You know my name, what's yours?"

"Nellie." I say. "What are you doing here?"

"You can't be serious." he says, looking at my mother in disbelief.

"You wanted to know who your father is so bad, here you go." she says, making me drop my jaw. "You're a Mitchell by blood."

"Hello there and happy mother's day!" smiles the waitress. "I'll be your waitress today. Here are your menus and I'll be back in a minute to take your orders."

We immediately ordered anyway.

"You didn't order much." says Logan.

I feel mom kick me under the table as he says this.

"Yeah, um, I don't have a big appetite right now." I lie, looking at the table.

"They look painful." he says, causing my eyes to shoot up at him.

"What do you mean?"

"You have some mean looking bruises all over." he says, pointing a finger at me. "How'd you get them?"

Again, mom kicks my already bruised shin, making me wince in pain.

"Hockey." I lie.

"Nice." he says, though his smile fades. "The guys and I play hockey whenever we can in LA."

"Enough about her." says mom, as the waitress comes back with our orders.

"Are you sure I can't get you something more, sweetheart?" the waitress asks me.

"Get anything you want, it's on me." he says.

Another kick.

"Really, I'm okay like this." I say, squirming in my seat.

"What about you?" asks mom. "What has your life become like?"

"I got married a few years ago." he says.

"To who?" I ask.

"What did I say?" says mom, glaring at me.

"An actress, Camille Roberts-"

"Like, Camille from Rock Camp 9?!" I ask in shock.

"The one and only." he smiles. "We have a daughter together, she's about your age."

"I bet neither of them like the fact you had a child out of wedlock." smirks mom.

Logan ignores her and looks over at me.

"Don't listen to her." he says. "It caught everyone by surprise but we don't judge like that."

"How long are you in town?" asks mom.

"We'll see." he says, sipping his coffee.