Chapter 3

(time jump to Nellie being around 8 years old)

Nellie's P.O.V.

"Why do you wear the same clothes every day?" asks the kid sitting next to me.

"Yeah, everyone else always wears something different."

"Do you even shower? You smell."

"Class, that's enough!" says my teacher. "Everyone put away your stuff, the bell is about to ring for lunch."

Finally, they'll leave me alone.

The bell rings and all the kids run to get their lunch bags or lunch cards. Mom never gives me anything, so I just grab my math workbook and walk to the lunch room with everyone else.

I walk to the back table like always and do my homework. When I'm close to finishing, somebody comes to sit in front of me.

"Where's your lunch?" she asks. I recognize her as one of the kids in my class. She's the only one who never says anything mean to me.

"I'm not hungry." I lie, as my stomach rumbles.

"I think you are." she says, opening her lunch box. "Do you want some dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets? We can share."

"I don't need your sympathy." I say.

"I know but at least somebody should be nice to you in school." she says. "I'm Macy."

"I'm Nellie."

Years Later

"Thanks for walking me home." I say.

"Of course! What are best friends for?" says Macy.

"What are you doing this weekend?" I ask.

"Hanging out with my dad." she says. "You know, you never talk about yours."

"My dad?"

"Mhm."

"I don't know who he is. Mom never talks about him. Ever."

"Maybe you should try asking." she shrugs.

As if on cue, we get to my house.

"Alright, see you later." I say, as she hugs me.

I wince and bite my tongue, trying to stay quiet.

I walk up the steps and pry the door open, then shutting it close.

I go up to my room and raise my shirt to look at my bruise.

Mom had a little too much to drink the other night and she may have pushed me against the counter and now I have an ugly bruise on my rib to commemorate it.

Though to be fair, that was kind of my fault. I should know better than to cross mom's path when she has a drink in her hand.

I drop my stuff in my room and grab a towel, then going to mom's room to shower. The hot water felt nice when it hits my neck. When I'm finished, I wrap myself in a towel and find my way to my room. I quickly dry off and change into a fresh pajama set when I hear the door open.

Soon, I hear mom's door close, which is what she usually does when she's about to shower. I start to prep my backpack for tomorrow when something calls my attention.

"Are you kidding me?! Nellie!" mom screams.

"What happened, are you okay?!" I ask, running to her room.

"Did you finish all the hot water?!" she asks, completely ticked off.

"I didn't think I-"

"Your bratty ass knows better than to come in my room and touch my stuff!" she says, grabbing my arm, walking me out.

"Mom, you're hurting me!" I wince.

"Your father had the right idea in leaving before you were born." she huffs.

"What?! What did you say about dad?"

"Nothing."

"No, mom! It's about time you tell me about my father, don't you think?!" I ask.

She rolls her eyes and shakes her head.

"Your father died before you were born. Now will you quit pestering me?"

~BTR~BTR~BTR~BTR~

"She said that?" asks Macy.

"Yep." I say, focusing on the snowflakes falling on my hand.

"Then why didn't she just say that in the first place instead of-"

"I already knew better than to keep pushing." I sigh. "What time is it?"

She picks up her cell phone and touches the screen.

"Almost three."

I run a bruised hand through my hair.

"I should get going." I say, standing up.

"Hey, what are you doing tomorrow?" she asks.

"No clue." I say. "Probably going to the rink for a couple hours after school. Why?"

"No reason, just wondering."

"Kay, see ya."