"Great like bisquets and gravy"

I was leaning against the marble counter with my brown, leather notebook in front of me. I was biting my black pen as I scratched my head. Maybe I could scratch my brain and actually get some ideas. I pushed my glasses up the bridge of my nose and sighed.

"For fucks sake." I cursed under my breath and threw the pen on the floor.

"We're at the pen throwing stage?" I heard a voice and looked up seeing Mick. He picked up the pen and handed it to me.

"Thanks." I smiled at him. "My mind's just blocked." I put my hands on my face. "I can't write." My muffled voice expressed absolute frustration.

"I'll help you." Mick pulled a chair out and sat in front of me.

"You really think it's that easy?" I raised my eyebrows smiling at him.

"Yeah, just some rhymes and deep words." He shrugged and I chuckled softly.

"Alright lyrical genius. Help me out." I handed him the black pen and he grabbed the notebook.

"Hmm." He made a thinking face and tapped the pen on his chin. He started writing something and I tried peaking. "It's a surprise, I don't want you stealing my genius lyrics." He joked covering the notebook with his hand and I chuckled.

"Alright Lewis Capaldi." I joked and he kept writing.

He stuck his tongue out a little bit while focusing. I looked at him, resting my chin on my hand. He looked cute when he was focused.

"Ta-da!" He extended his arms and I grabbed the notebook to read what he just wrote.

"You know it's wavy. Great like biscuits and gravy." I read and looked up at him. He smiled proudly and I chuckled. "Mick, this is so bad." I said honestly and he feigned being offended.

"Hey, it's my best work so far." He joked crossing his arms and I chuckled. "Yeah, I know it's bad." He laughed along.

"Please never write again." I shook my head still laughing.

"I won't. I'll make coffee." He spoke between laughter and I nodded in agreement.

He grabbed two cups and put them on the coffee machine. I heard footsteps and Matilda and Emily appeared. They'd just woken up.

"Good morning kiddos." I smiled at them.

Matilda walked towards me and stretched her arms out at me so I could carry her. I smiled and carried her in my arms.

"You want breakfast?" I asked her as she rubbed her eyes.

"Yes please auntie Brin." She told me and I smiled at her fondly.

"Okay, Mick and I'll make you breakfast." I told her and she nodded. I put her back down and her and Emily sat on the table.

Mick handed me a cup of coffee and I grabbed it.

"Thanks." I thanked him and took a small sip.

"What's that?" Emily asked tilting her head.

"Coffee, want a sip?" I asked and she puckered her lips.

"Daddy says coffee's bad for us." She looked down swaying her arms nervous.

"Well, daddy's not here so you can have some coffee." I told her and she smiled. "It'll be our little secret." I whispered and handed her the cup.

"Thank you auntie Brin." Emily smiled brightly grabbing the cup.

I chuckled softly and turned around seeing Mick with his arms crossed.

"You shouldn't give them coffee." He raised his eyebrows in an accusatory way.

"You sound like Seb." I fired back and he chuckled. "I'm gonna go change." I patted his shoulder and started walking off.