i. a series of irritable coincidences

real life

real life

september 3rd, 2022.

JOY PHAM WAS RUNNING LATE TO WORK. with having a sister that needs to be picked up just 5 minutes before work started: which means she had to drive back in 7 minutes (past the speed limit), get ready in 2 minutes, and get to work in 5 minutes (again driving past the speed limit). ultimately, she would be late, but only by 15 minutes. which still isn't the best, but better than 20 minutes.

she ran into the mall quickly, trying to search for her sister. jill was one of the older kids in her girl scout group, which meant she was one of the people in charge of cleaning up afterward. it's a good thing that her sister is trying out leadership roles, especially due to her shy nature, however, the flaw comes when you're the only "adult" at home. nobody else to pick her up except you!

joy didn't care that people saw her practically running throughout the mall. she couldn't afford to be scolded by her boss; she was tired from late-night studying as well as soccer practice. a long lecture from dan was the last thing she needed.

as she turned the corner, she finally found the stand where her sister was stationed at. she was one of the last people there. unfortunately for her, dan green was trying to buy cookies last minute. to make it even worse: he was talking to jill.

fuck, she thought to herself. how the hell was she supposed to get her sister and get to work without being extremely late when daniel (she's not sure if that's his full name) green was taking his damn time buying some cookies. i bet they aren't even the good kind too; they're probably fucking shortbread, she thought.

joy pham had two options. she could go pick up her sister right in front of daniel green, or she could quickly run around the entire mall (or hopefully find a shortcut) until she gets to her sister's corner. i could definitely make it, she thought, i literally play soccer; of course, i would make it.