xvi. middle of starting over

real lifeoctober 22, 2022nearly two weeks after

real life
october 22, 2022
nearly two weeks after...

JOY CONSIDERED HERSELF TO BE A STRONG AND INDEPENDENT PERSON. she had a high pain tolerance. she could withstand a lot; whether it be picking up jill from extracurricular activities to driving carter to multiple different places. she could cook, clean, work, play soccer. she had been able to do so much on her own before. now, she can't do anything.

the accident caused her to have to use crutches for two months. it doesn't seem long, but joy can't drive herself for two months. she wouldn't be able to cook for jill or drive carter around for two months. she wouldn't be able to do anything for two months. and to make it even better, she couldn't work for two months.

to others, it may sound like a dream. joy knew some others that worked alongside her despised their job at panera. it probably had something to do with their shitty boss (joy despised him too) or other reasons. however, even with said shitty boss, joy needed to work. she was half of her family's income.

joy's dad got laid off in january last year. right after joy's fifteenth birthday. he had an injury in his leg that couldn't allow him to walk the same way. ever since then, it was troubling to find a job. so, joy had to step up and lie about her age (fifteen and sixteen are the same thing anyway) and grab a job. ever since then, she had been providing for her household.

but now, who was going to provide? she couldn't work for two months. the bills and house payments would be coming, and joy's mother wouldn't be able to pay it all of within two months. which means her mother would have to work more hours. then she wouldn't be home for longer. and with joy's injury preventing her to do anything, there wouldn't be any food for jill. they'd have to doordash, losing more money.