Wattpad Original

Original Edition: ◇ Chapter 24 ◇ Magnus ◇

LORELEI

West Incendia

Late Rainrise

The earth shook under Lorelei's feet. She struggled to keep her footing and held onto Kane as they continued toward Csilla. Lorelei had known the scream came from her, but she was afraid for what they'd find when they reached her. She'd heard a wail like that once before in her life, back in Port Barlow when a woman had found out her husband didn't survive a storm at sea.

As they got closer, Lorelei could see Csilla, but she was on the ground, holding something in her arms. Someone.

"Oh no," Kane said, as they stumbled to a stop.

Arius was on his knees in front of Csilla, both their gazes on the person in Csilla's arms.

"Flynn..." Tears pricked at Lorelei's eyes. "He's..."

"He's gone," Csilla cried, holding him close.

The ground continued to shake, smoke billowing from the volcano's top. Lorelei glanced around; the fog now completely gone. Seraphina and Rosalina ran toward them. But where was Nara? She finally found her back where they'd started, next to someone hunched over on the ground. She looked past them to the hooded emberbloods lying motionless on the ground.

The ritual must have been successful.

"It's Magnus," Lorelei said. "He's coming."

The ground shook violently, causing them all to fall to the ground. An explosion ripped through the air and the quaking suddenly stopped. Lorelei's gaze went to the volcano. Lava spewed from its top.

"What is that?" Kane asked from the ground next to her.

She looked closer and watched as something flew out of the volcano. It spread its wings, lava flinging off of it in all directions. A roar split the air as it stretched its neck.

"A dragon," Lorelei whispered, half-terrified, half-amazed. Her mother's stories had included ice dragons, but never any born from flame. She only knew they were locked away in Limbo like the rest of creatures.

But now it was free.

What else was slipping through the cracks at that moment?

"We have to go," Kane said, rising to his feet. Lorelei stood up with him "Now."

The dragon's wings completely unfurled as it made an arc, circling around toward them. Arius tried to get Csilla to stand up.

"Csilla," he pleaded. "We have to run. It's coming."

"I'm not leaving him," she said, her face as emotionless as stone.

"You'll die," Arius said, his voice pained.

"I said I'm not leaving him!"

Kane pulled at her arm to run with him, but the moment Lorelei turned, they were greeted with a wall of flame.

"Where do you think you're going?" called a familiar voice.

Lorelei slowly turned around. Jaron stood there; his hand splayed as he spread the wall of fire until it made a complete ring around the entire area. He walked toward them, motioning Rove and others to follow him down.

"You too, little archer," Jaron said with a smirk. Nara followed behind him, her eyes never leaving the back of his head. They descended down the small hill as the dragon flew toward them, steam rising off its massive wings.

Lorelei gripped Kane's arm as the dragon came closer. They were sitting ducks with nowhere to run. She held her breath as the dragon's shadow loomed over them, gusts of wind striking them as it beat its wings. Instead of attacking them, it came to a landing behind Jaron. Rove and the others scuttled out of its way, fear widening their eyes. Nara ran over to them, falling to her knees beside Csilla.