Chapter 17

When I woke up, Jai's head was on my shoulder and he was fast asleep. I could tell from the light in the room it must have been really early, as it was still dark outside. His red LED lights still glowed throughout the room, and time seemed to stand still. I checked my phone, it was 5:10am. I looked over at Jai again. His lips were slightly parted, and the soft hum of his breathing was kind of soothing. It was the only sound I could hear. Otherwise, the Brooks' house was quiet enough to hear a pin drop.

I bit my lip, pondering whether I should get up or not. I didn't want to disturb Jai, but I also thought it'd be best to scoot out of his house soon to avoid any awkwardness after everyone wakes up. I shimmied his head off my shoulder and stuck a balled up hoodie underneath his head to act like a pillow. He was still peacefully asleep. I found my car keys and quietly left, making the hungover journey to my car nearly halfway down the road.

I climbed into my car, head pounding. The street lamps glowed, and the sun was going to be coming up soon. My mind drifted to what my parents might be thinking. They usually went to bed early so they probably didn't realize I never made it home last night. However, they're also early birds, so they would be up soon if they weren't already. I raced home, tires screeching as I whipped into my driveway.

When I tip toed into my house, the overhead light above the kitchen sink was still on. Everyone was still asleep, thankfully. I slipped into my own bed and returned to my slumber, curtains drawn to prevent the rising sun from entering my bedroom.

Next I knew, my phone was ringing. I was surprised at the grogginess in my voice as I groaned out a hello.

Bella's voice was ringing into my ear, "What happened last night?"

She didn't sound pleased. "What do you mean?" I whined.

"There's pictures. All over snapchat. Were you at the Brooks' house last night?" She questioned.

"Um... Yeah. Luke threw a party. Jai invited me. What pictures?"

She was quiet for a moment. Her voice was always overly energetic, but very quickly she sounded irritated.

"It's just funny that you wouldn't include Chloe and I when we always include you in everything."

"I'm sorry," I said as I sat up in my bed, head pounding from the hangover. "It wasn't like that. Jai invited me and- I don't know. You guys judged me when you saw us together at the dance. I didn't think the Brooks' were your guys' sort of crowd."

Bella was quiet again. "Whatever, Grace." She said. "And by the way... you looked real sloppy in those pics."

Then, the line was dead. She hung up. I half gasped, half scoffed. I was in disbelief. I hadn't fought with Bella or Chloe in years. I was hurt. I wasn't sure what to say or do. It was hard to think with the throbbing of my head. I realized now that it was past noon. I quickly threw on some clothes and headed downstairs, nervous my parents might confront me about my curfew.

My sister was eating lunch at the table.

"Where's mom and dad?" I ask.

"Visiting grandma." She says with her mouth full.

I listen.

"I know you came home early this morning." She says.

I groan and roll my eyes.

"I told mom you came home at 11."

I look at her shocked but confused. "What, really? Why would you cover for me?"

"I figure I might need my ass saved once I start high school."

I look at her with a sly smile, letting her know I appreciate her gesture.

"Alright," I nod. "Thanks."