Chapter 18

Neither Bella nor Chloe talked to me for the rest of the weekend or at school on Monday. Even though Chloe didn't express any distaste toward me, I suspected she would follow Bella's lead. I was anxious, feeling nervous about what I would do without my two best friends. I was hopeful this would pass and we'd make up within a day or two.

Later, I talked to Jai about things. The nervousness I used to sometimes feel around Jai was the least of my worries, as my mind was consumed by the situation with my best friends. The idea that he and I had just kissed again a couple days ago didn't even cross my mind. Jai seemed to feel sorry about my situation, guilty, even.

"Agh, I should have invited them to the party. Sorry, I wasn't thinking," his husky voice came from beside me in study hall.

But when lunch rolled around neither Bella nor Chloe were at our usual table, so I gathered they'd gone out for lunch. I bit my lip, eyes frantically searching for somewhere to sit where I wouldn't feel or look so alone. Jai's eyes caught mine. He gestured with his head for me to come over.

"Hi," I said softly, holding my lunch like a fool.

"Sit here," he said, eyes going from mine then down to the spot beside him.

I could feel everyone's eyes on me. There weren't any other girls at the table, only guys. I stood out like a sore thumb.

"Soo," Jai started. "Your friends?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. They've probably gone out for lunch or something,"

I picked at my food. Jai chuckled, watching me with curiosity. I could feel all of his friends' eyes on me. I glanced up from my food, my eyes shooting from James, to Luke, and the rest of the guys. I frowned.

"I'm sure they'll get over it," Luke chimed in.

I smirked at his effort.

"We're going to Funfields on Friday. You should come," James blurted out.

Jai smacked him on the arm, "James..." he groaned, expressing irritation.

I snickered at the two of them.

"Um..." I said, eyeing each of them.

Jai avoided my eyes, glaring at James.

"Really," James said, putting a hand on Jai's arm to hush him. "You should come."

I was hesitant. "Um, I dunno. Why would I go?"

"Well aren't you two like a thing, now?" He said, chin propped on his elbow, pointing back and forth between Jai and I, like a gossiping girl.

"James!" Jai and Luke both smacked him this time.

I laughed, feeling a little awkward. Jai's face was in his hands, as he sighed to himself.

"We're not a thing," I reassured James.

"We're not?" Jai asked me.

A puzzled look crossed my face, "Are we?"

"I don't know." Jai shrugged.

We both looked to Luke. He shrugged, too. Then Jai and I looked at each other.

"Maybe we've some things to talk about?" He asked.

"Maybe," I said, arching a brow, rising from the table, heading to throw my trash in the bins.

On my way back to the table, I feel a yank by my ponytail. I'm pulled backwards; I let out a gasp. I turn around to find Emma Cabot standing before me. She's alone, no posse to boost her ego.

"What the fuck are you doing?"

"What do you mean?" I fired back.

She stretches out her arm, gesturing toward Luke and Jai's table.

"Who do you think you are?!"

I scoffed, confused.

Jai appeared beside me. "What's your deal, Emma?"

She looked at him like maybe he had done some horrible thing to disappoint her.

"Why are you sitting with this... this witch?" She growled at him.

Jai blinked a few times, and a small smirk teased the corners of his mouth; I knew he wanted to laugh.

"You mean Grace?" He chuckled. "Grace is my friend. And she doesn't need your permission to sit anywhere."

He put a hand on my back and guided me back to the table. Luke and James were dying of laughter. My face was hot so I knew I was red.

"The fuck is her problem?" Luke asked.

"She's always been a cunt to me. I don't know why,"

"She's jealous of you," James added.

"Why would she be jealous of me?" I asked in confusion.

"Because you two are a thing!" James insisted, gesturing at Jai and I.