013

Four years ago

You exited the gymnasium located at one of campuses in University of Tokyo. You, under alias Suzuki Mei, had just 'completed' an undergraduate in Philosophy at twenty-one years old. You'd been undercover for the last eight months, gaining the trust of your target, Hanma Shuji.

You took out your phone and immediately clicked Hanma's contact. It rang twice before picking up.

"Guess who just took her last final?"

"Hm... I'm not sure..." He teased.

You forced a pout into your voice. "Shuji... Did you seriously forget?"

He chuckled, the sound rough due to the static of the connection. "No, baby. How'd it go?"

"I definitely aced that shit." You lied while unlocking your car and hopping into the front seat. You really filled in random bubbles on the scantron. Your mission would be over tonight, grades didn't matter anymore. You turned your car on, your phone connected to the Bluetooth, his voice began filling all around you.

"I think this calls for a celebration?"

"Hell yeah it does." You agreed while pulling out of the parking lot. His apartment already in your GPS, you waited a moment before pressing navigate, waiting for those sweet words that'd officially set everything in motion.

"Alright, come over, love. I'll plan something special." You clicked navigate, before saying a sweet goodbye and heading to his place.

Your drive to Hanma's was filled with anticipation. You were certain everything would go to plan, so you weren't nervous, but you felt a pit in your stomach. A dark marble of sadness, at knowing you'd be ending the life of someone you told you'd loved countless times over the last few months. You shook your head, pushing away the thoughts. You were just too immersed in your character, that's all.

Pulling into the underground parking garage, you parked your shitty, beat-up car in one of his designated spots, right beside his all-white Mercedes-Benz. Locking your car behind you, you jogged to the elevator and clicked his floor number. When you got to his door, you let yourself in with the key he had given you two months prior.

"Honey, I'm home!" You drawled out while taking off your converse and slipping on the pink slippers he'd gotten for you for his place. You spent more time here than at your dorm at the university.

"I'm in the kitchen, Mei!" He called out to you. The smell of something burning filled your nose, was this guy about to take himself out for you? You rushed in the kitchen, seeing him juggle a pan, currently filled with flame, and a bowl. You doubled over with laughter.

"What the fuck?" You asked in between laughs; you walked over to him and took the dangerous pan from his hands, throwing it in the sink and letting the tap run over it. You turned off the stove burner and looked inside the bowl at the batter, it was red and had brown lettuce floating in it. It made you want to gag. You raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to speak.

"I wanted to make you kimchi pancakes... I know you like those..." He adjusted his round glasses and looked off to the side in embarrassment, one hand reaching back to scratch the back of his neck. You tried to contain your laughter but couldn't, you rolled your lips in your mouth, eyes tearing.

He looked at you offended, face burning. "Hey, it's not funny! I don't usually do this shit!" He jostled the pan in the sink. You took a step closer to him and wrapped your arms around his neck pulling him close. His gesture really did warm your heart. No, it warmed Mei's.

"Thank you, I know." You placed a slow kiss on his soft lips and felt as he melted into your touch, arms snaking around your waist and pulling you impossibly close to his tall, lanky frame. You pulled away. "But never do that again." You placed another chaste kiss on his lips before pulling away and letting a laugh escape.