Part 4

Steve and Elizabeth did grow a bond with each other and then that grew into a relationship. Still deep down he still had feel for Della but would never say it to her.

As they were out seeing Della with another man, he looked mean and gothy looking. Ugh Steve certainly did not approve of but kept his mouth shut. Because that is what she does when Elizabeth is around.

"I don't like him." Steve was walk Della back to her car after a small gathering.

"Alex, is out of the ordinary, sure. But he is kind and loving."

"I sure hope so Della."

"Dose Elizabeth make you happy?"

'Other than you? Yeah.' "Yes."

"Okay well Alex makes me happy Steve."

Billy got into the car first. And then Della after kissing Steve's cheek. "See you tomorrow." Della waved goodbye after she got into the car.

"Bye. Please drive safe."

Steve walked back as he was sadden he could see that something was going on between both of them. But didn't want to intervene, when it could be nothing.

Starting Della morning off with her usual cup of coffee, then move to the bathroom to take her meds and put some dab of makeup on to cover up the marks that Alex have given her.

Alex does love her in his own way. Della was never letting him move in. And Alex would get pissed. Now before Bones married Melodie, he was dating this girl named Sarah. Now Sarah have been their secretary for the last few months for Steve and Bones.

Sarah and Della came close over time because of Bones. Sarah introduced some of her friends to Della, but Della never made it to their level. Which was fine in her book.

Sarah had came over to pick up Della and Billy, for a job that Della recently gotten.

"Bye Alex." Putting on Billy's vest.

"Whatever."

They had a fight last night because Della kissed Steve's cheek. And that caused her to bruise and with a broken rib. Della took it like a champ. Alex wasn't like this in the beginning. She wouldn't whine or complain about the beating. All she wanted to be was loved. Real love.

Della left with Billy and didn't look back. Sarah could tell something was going on. As they got in. Rubbing her temple, Sarah spoke. "How long are you going to let this man abuse you?"

"Eight years."

Looking over Sarah gasped. "What?"

"I found out last night. That's why he didn't hit me as hard."

"Have you told him then?"

"No. He will tell me to get rid of it. You know that I want to be a mother." Crossing her arms.

"I know. Until that you leave him Dell. He will be hurting for the rest of your life do you really want a repeat?"

"No."

Dropping off Della as Sarah follows her in. "Just promise me that you will be careful?"

"I promise."

Sarah told Bones about what was going on with Della. As Steve didn't mean to over hear. Della lied to him. She wasn't happy, at all. It crushed him.

Knowing that it was bowling night for the gang. And Steve was going to talk to her about it. He thought about it all day. Wondering, hurting that what if Alex didn't take good enough care of her that she could die or hurt.

"Hey man." Bones popped his head in. "I'm going to head out for a bit."

"Do you think that she's happy?"

"Who?" Then it hits Bones. "I dunno.. truth be told she might be.. who knows how long it will last."

"I can tell it in her eyes that she isn't."

"Like you are with Elizabeth. I mean you love her. But you're not in LOVE with her." Shaking his head. "I know that "we" don't talk about our feelings to our ladies that we care for. I see the two of you... It's something that I've always been dying to have."

Steve leans back in his chair as he glanced at the photo of both of them. Happy, healthy, so much light. Positive. Rubbing his chin. "Yeah." He sighed.

Out of work Steve went to pick up Della. Della who look so tried and ready to crash. He watched her coming down stairs, working at a laundry all day.

"Hey you."

"Hey you." Rubbing her eyes with a smile. "Ready for your butt to be beat?"

Steve chuckled. "As if!" They got into the car.  "Is Alex coming?"

"No. He doesn't get off of work until ten." She lied. He's over at her house drinking all the booze, smoking.

"Shame. I guess that it will be you and me."

"Elizabeth isn't coming?"

"She hated when we bet on things."

"Well that is silly."

"Yeah it is." Arriving at the bowling alley. Sarah and Bones were there.

Playing for like an hour, Della wasn't feeling well. She let Steve win as she leans back on the bench. "Okay 5 bucks is yours."

"Nah you keep it."

"A bet is a bet. Don't tell me you are going soft on me."

"No. But I would like to take you home."

"Steve that wouldn't be fair. Besides you wouldn't get home until midnight." She rubbed her stomach and then Billy, to cover up that she was pregnant.

"I'll be alright I don't have to work tomorrow."

"I don't know if Elizabeth would like that." Changing her shoes.

"It's alright. She'll be fine for one time."

Her eyes squinted for awhile and then she looked at him with a soft smile. "Alright. If you are sure about that."

"I am."

Saying goodnight, Steve took Della home. When Steven wanted to talk about the marks and bruises. But stopping himself.

"You know you can still come to me, if something or someone is hurting you, right?"

"I do. And it goes both ways." She would want to know as well.

"Yes. Why do I feel that he isn't treating you right?"

"He isn't." Her hands began to sweat.

"My gut tells me otherwise. Della. My sweet Della. I don't want you to suffer, cause if he is. Leave him. I could not bare for you to be a punching bag for him. Cause you are not."

"I promise. You know that I'm clumsy and if I haven't been taking my medicine, how easily I bruise."

"You don't bruise that easily. And you are NOT that clumsy. Why can't you be honest with me?"

"I am Steve, really." Her hands began to shake a little.

Steve grabbed a hold of her left hand. Pulling over just in case if she was going to have a seizure. Stroking her hand trying to clam her down. "I don't think you are. You are my best friend, I would die knowing that you were suffering something on your own, having him taking apart of you that Alex should never have." Head placed against hers. "I want you to be happy, safe, cared for, most of all loved."

She began to have a seizure. Billy moved closer to Della as she started.

"You are kind, you are smart. Let it all go, let it all happened. I'm right here and so is Billy."

Riding it out Della came to be again. She slept on the way home.