Let You Down

14 March 2076.

Still nothing. Ernesto puffed another from the cigarette while his eyes were still glued to the news. It was early morning, the sun peeking into his apartment from between the skyline of the city.

"...a military-grade implant was found missing from the body of Lt. Col. James Norris shot dead by MaxTac last night..."

There. After a camera shot showing the massacre occurred outside of the NCPD headquarters, another shot pictured Gloria and her co-workers loading a body bag into an ambulance.

The 'accident' of the Cyberpsycho was nothing but a cover for her to recover the 'missing implant', all orchestrated by MI6 even though Arasaka thought it was their own doing. But the image of the dead cops left an impression on Ernesto. Theoretically, none of his contacts was in service last night, but even with that, most of the street cops were overall normal people, who did their duty to a community that most likely didn't deserve their sacrifice.

After two years undercover, he thought he had grown accustomed to making horrible deeds or taking part in them, but he was wrong. Too many times there were innocent people being at the wrong place, wrong time.

A few minutes later, the call arrived.

"Mamacita." He greeted tenderly.

"Mijo. I got it." Gloria said.

"Anyone noticed?"

"Don't worry, it's not the first time I steal from an intervention."

"Good...how's David?"

"He just left for school. You know...he misses you a lot. And so do I."

"You know I can't come back, mama."

"I understand, but I don't like it. Knowing that you're out there, dodging bullets and that every time you call might be the last..." she said with an increasingly worried tone.

"I can't turn back, mama. Not anymore. I just want for you and David to stay safe."

Gloria sighed. "Where do I drop the device?"

"I have a job to do, today. I'll call back this evening and we'll come up with the details. For now, get this."

The credits were sent. Full price for the Sandevistan.

"Mijo, that's a lot! Where do you even get all of this creds?"

"I'll let you imagine that. We'll see each other soon, mama, I promise."

"Be careful, Nesto."

"I'll do my best." and closed the call.

He puffed the cigarette one last time, leaving only the filter, and threw it away as he headed toward the door. He stepped outside and, to his surprise, he found his netrunner friend waiting at the handrail of the floor.

"Lucy. You up early today." he commented in a tired tone as he walked toward her.

The young woman threw down her own cigarette and stomped on it. "Just wanted to get started." she replied in kind. "So, what's the job?"

"First I have to go the NCPD. Make sure my contacts are all still kicking. Then they will give us the coordinates to the goons' hive."

"You don't really expect me to walk in the cops' house, do you?"

"Don't worry, you can wait outside, it won't take long."

"Why do you take up this job, anyway? The pay is usually terrible."