Stronger

April 1 2076.

After a well-deserved sleep, Ernesto woke up that morning and then reached the Circle to know where Maine and Dorio were. He received confirmation from Falco that they had been escorted outside of the metropolitan area and hidden away. A medical crew from the Federation was on its way to immediately operate Maine and reduce the load of cyberware before bringing him and Dorio away, into the Federation, for a rehab.

The rest of the crew was fine. Kiwi had passed out from the punch Maine gave her when he lost control, but the damage was not extensive and she had already recovered her senses. After a visit to a ripperdoc, she was going to be up and running again.

What Ernesto was waiting the most, however, was the call from the Director, which didn't seem to arrive until the late afternoon.

"Apologies for making you wait, Captain." Pétran started cordially.

"No problem, sir. So what are the news?"

"On the bright side, it appears that Arasaka could find no link to you or your friends regarding the kidnapping. Also, your associate, Maine, is safe and sound. Our agents already brought him and madame Dorio out of the Corporate Territories and is heading for a hospital in California."

Ernesto huffed amused. "Good. Maine said he always wanted to see the ocean, one day."

"On the other hand...well, it's not exactly bad news. I think I know how we can draw Arasaka and Militech into open confrontation. I only doubt you're going to like it."

"Why that?"

...

"You can't be serious." Ernesto couldn't hold back after hearing the plan.

"Right now this is our best chance." Pétran replied calmly.

"I won't use my brother as bait!" the Legionnaire exclaimed.

"I only laid out what seems our best course of action at the moment, Captain. The cyber-skeleton is still months away from being completed, so I guess we have time to find an alternative. Yet I need you to be prepared for anything."

Ernesto hissed in frustration, leaning his forehead against one hand. "I understand, sir." he finally said in resignation. "I do not agree, but I understand."

"As I said, we still have time to figure out alternate solutions, Captain. For now, stick to your duties and keep building the network in the city. The more people we have on our side, the more peaceful the takeover will be."

"I will, sir."

"Excellent. Feel free to contact me if you need additional support. Central, out."

The video feed lost signal and Ernesto closed it. Left alone with his thoughts, the Captain was not at all calm, not after he heard the plan.

Using David as bait for Arasaka? After everything Ernesto had done to make sure his brother would stay out of the mega-corps' view? That he could not accept. And after all, hadn't he already made the impossible by having Maine snap out of a cyberpsychosis? By the gods, he was going to find a way to bring down the corps without endangering David.

As his mind was grinding to find a solution, he suddenly received a call from Petra.

"Hey, you all right?"

"Oh. Yeah, I'm good."

"You don't sound that."

"I just can't hide anything from you, uh?"