Humanity

May 24 2077.

The sun had already started to go down over the desert, but it was still scorching hot. Ernesto and David were on watch over a small hill overlooking the highway. The rest of the crew was waiting in the truck, all except for one member, and Ernesto could clearly tell that David's mind was going to that specific person.

"She will be fine." he reassured.

"I know, it's just...tough to think what's about to happen." David replied with hushed tone.

"Hey, we always made it, we'll do it today, too. And when this is over, do me a favor and bring Lucy to the moon." Ernesto quipped.

David chuckled, reassured by the confidence of his older brother. "Deal. But you have to bring Petra as well."

Ernesto chuckled back. "Easier said than done." then he turned around. "Kiwi, does Faraday suspect anything?"

"Last night he seemed too busy wiping his own butt. Bragging about taking Luce in for corpo immunity."

"Let him dream, I say." Falco said amused. "He doesn't have much time left for that."

"Yeah, but if he hurts her, I'm gonna fuck up his own corpse." said Pilar aggressively.

"When did ya go all big bro on her for real, bro?" Rebecca asked with a mixture of disgust and amusement.

The Martinez brothers chuckled and turned back to look at the highway. Just a minute later, they spotted the target.

"Got 'em." said David as he looked through the binoculars. "'Saka convoy. A truck and four armored vans."

"Hold on. Let's see if Faraday's decoys can make their payroll useful." Ernesto calmly instructed.

He was referring to a small band of street punks who ambushed the convoy when it crossed path with an abandoned gas station. A small group of colored armored buggies was waiting there, and as soon as the corporation's convoy passed them, they put the pedal to the metal and attacked, with goons exposing their ugly heads from the car windows and shooting at the convoy.

"Decoys?" asked Becca.

"Diversions meant to give us an opening. Though, I'm sure Faraday didn't tell them that." Kiwi explained.

To prove that point, the bullets of the punks literally bounced off the armored vehicles, which quickly started to push back and pick them off one by one.

"Classic Faraday's shenanigans." commented Falco. "Who says he ain't ran us 'round the barn too?"

"Relax, Falco." reassured Ernesto. "I know it because Faraday's real purpose is to get either me or David to install the hardware that's inside that truck."

"Well, if things go south I know who to blame."

"Break time is over." Kiwi suddenly announced. "The convoy is splitting up. The cargo is getting right below us."

"Then what are we waiting for?" David said.

"Yeehaw!" Falco incited the brothers to get aboard, and after they did, Falco sent their vehicle down the hill, giving it a lot of gas. The descent was very bumpy and he almost crashed the wheel when the hillside turned into the flat terrain, but they did end up smashing one of the security vans, sending as Pilar targeted it with a one-time rocket launcher and blew it up.

"Alright, score one for me!" he said excited.

"Focus, we still got one." Kiwi warned.

And indeed, the second van had suddenly braked in order to get behind them, allowing three commandos to peek out and shoot at the crew with their powerful rifles. The crew tried to fire back through the back ramp of the van but they were soon forced to close it again.