Chapter 9: Simply Chaos

Before I could say anything, Knuckles took my hand started leading me away. I looked back and saw the other villagers almost scattering.

"Knuckles wait!" I said, pulling my hand out of his grip. "The Villagers!"

Knuckles nodded and looked at the Chaotix. "Vector, get everyone to the Haven!"

"On it!" Vector said as he, Espio and Charmy ran off, telling every villager to go to the Haven. It was an abandoned ranch that was deeper in the mountains that backed the fair grounds. Knuckles and several other Mobians were rebuilding it to be used as an emergency shelter.

I look back at Metal, who was now giving the SHADOW Unit several blows. He was protecting us. For some reason it amazed me that he was.

Soon Sonic took my hand again and started running toward the forest. Once in the tree line, I dug my heals and almost forced Sonic to stop. "Sonic, we can't leave him!"

"Em, Shadow told me about this one." Sonic said. "He attacked him and Dr. Jonathan in Brazil. Even Shadow had a time with him. And from the description Shadow gave me, this is an upgrade."

"I still can't leave him!" I said.

Metal had kept his scanners on Emily and the others until they were in the threes where his scanner couldn't reach. She had saved him twice before, now it was his turn to return the favor.

The rival unit paced in front of him, it was almost eerie seeing this robotic version of Shadow. And after a quick scan, Metal discovered their blueprints were nearly symmetrical. Metal couldn't help but wonder if this was how Sonic felt when he first met the real Shadow. Copyrighted.

"It is a mistake for defending the organisms from this unit." SHADOW said, speaking in a series of buzzes and technical chirps. It was a robotic language.

"As I had said before," Metal replied in the same language. "It is part of my operations to not allow you near them."

"You lie." SHADOW replied. "It is not in your original programming."

"Upgrades." Metal said, his eyes shinning with cockiness he got from Sonic.

SHADOW's eyes glowed dangerously at the remark. "If you will not step aside," he said, lifting a hand. "Then I will remove you. Chaos spear!"

To Metal's shock, three bolts of Chaos energy flew from SHADOW's hand. Metal dodged the attack and did another scan, trying to find a weakness. SHADOW attacked again, sending more bolts of Chaos energy. This time Metal dodged and attacked, spin dashing SHADOW and knocking him back several feet and into a building. Metal stood there as the dust settled, not sure if his enemy was alive or not.

A flash of gold behind him made Metal turn to see SHADOW reappear and lung toward him. This time, the two robots locked claws and rolled in the dust. Metal was barely aware of the other villagers as they also ran toward the forest.

"Everyone inside!" I called, getting everyone into the barn of the Haven, where Knuckles had stocked up on food, blankets and water.

"Samuel!" Cried the aged Looming Rabbit. "My grandson is still back there!"

"We'll get him." Silver said before taking to the skies with me racing along the ground. We get back into the village and I immediately go into the Loomers shop, where a small boy was curled in a corner holding a stuffed bear and trembling.

Silver picked him up and started back. "You're safe now kid." Silver said. "Lets get you back to your grandmother."

"G-Granny." Samuel said.