XX

Much to Eleven's relief—and Henry's, who isn't the best at dealing with the slightest chance that his machinations might not go according to plan—the kids in the park aren't much interested in talking. They're more interested in playing, content only to know her nickname is El. And Eleven, as a result of the demanding training she has received for as long as she can remember, is in excellent physical condition: she runs faster, jumps higher, hangs longer from the metal bars than the rest.

   All the children want to have her on their team.

   Henry, sitting on a nearby bench, just watches her jump and run as if she were a normal child.

   And she is not, no; they both have it clear.

   But, if only for a moment, Henry catches himself thinking that maybe Eleven would have been happier that way.

   Now the game has changed: finally tired of running around, the kids have taken to flying kites—a common occurrence, it seems. Eleven looks confused for a moment, but soon one of the girls kindly offers to share hers; Eleven accepts with a shy smile.

   After about five minutes, one of the boys' kites gets stuck in a treetop. Henry doesn't pay much attention to it... until he sees that, as if by magic, the kite begins to shake...

   He's on his feet immediately, his eyes fixed on Eleven's outstretched hand. He doesn't even think; he just runs towards her.

   On one hand, Henry notices the skill that Eleven exhibits in delicately levitating the kite so that the branches do not damage it; on the other, a cold sweat runs down his neck towards his back at the thought that this is happening in front of seven children.

   When the kite arrives safely at its owner's little hands, Eleven reaches down and wipes the blood dripping from her nose.

   Many things happen in a short space of time: Eleven's gaze meets his, and Henry sees her utter terror. He wonders why, until her anxious gaze turns to the children.

   Her fear, evident now, forces him to stop.

   Eleven fears rejection from other children, yes.

   But what she fears the most...

   What she fears the most is that Henry decides to 'take care' of the danger to their secret by ending the lives of all these children.

   Yes, Eleven isn't dumb. Though she knows Henry wouldn't hurt her—at least, he wants to believe she does—she does know that he's capable of anything to protect himself as well as her.

   Would he have done it? Would he have murdered each and every one of these children, if it guaranteed the safety of both of them? Even considering the complications this would entail—possibly adding their parents or caretakers and any curious bystanders to the murder list, as well as disposing of their bodies—Henry isn't sure of the answer.

   What he is sure of is that, with Eleven giving him that terrified look, his old methods are not an acceptable option now.

   Before he can say anything to her, however, one of the boys—a redhead with a face full of freckles—exclaims: "Did you see that?!"

   Eleven abruptly turns to the boy who's just spoken. Henry feels his heart rise up to his throat. Before he or Eleven can divert their attention, invent something, in short, react in some way, the boy exclaims again: "El has superpowers...!"

   The rest of the children start jumping and screaming, their shrill voices full of excitement. Henry frowns, confused, and doesn't get to see Eleven's expression before all of the kids hurry to hug her, marveling at—in their own words—their new friend's 'superpowers'.

   "You are fantastic!"

   "Will you show me how you did it?!"

   "Do you also have super-strength?!"

   The questions do not stop, and Henry realizes he will soon have to intervene to rescue her from so many questions... until he hears her laugh.

   If seeing her smile for the first time had shocked him, this has simply destroyed him: her laugh is high-pitched, shy, but sincere.

   The laugh of any little girl: a happy one, accepted, loved by others.

   The other children, infected by her joy, just laugh along, without even knowing why.

   "What's going on here?"

   Henry turns: the question has been asked by a blonde woman about his age who has come over, briefcase in hand, to observe the commotion. Her voice and smile make her friendly demeanor clear.

   "Mommy!" one of the girls screams, then throws herself into the woman's arms. "You won't believe what happened!"

   Eleven's laughter stops instantly; she and Henry exchange uneasy glances again.

   "No, I don't know. What happened, princess?" the woman asks, affectionately ruffling her daughter's curls.

   "Our new friend El saved Matt's kite!" she tells her with that enthusiasm that is so characteristic of children (at least, children who were not raised in a laboratory). "She did it using her superpowers!"

   Henry holds his breath. The woman, however, just continues to smile.

   "Oh? Is that true?" She glances down at Eleven, who looks at her with her mouth half open, a gesture that betrays her nervousness. "Do you have super-powers, El?"

   Eleven is silent. The woman is not offended, but looks at her daughter:

   "That's fantastic, my love. I'm sure all your little friends have super-powers as well, right?"

   "No, she..." the girl insists.

   The woman giggles and shoots a knowing look at Henry, who has no idea how to take it until the woman clarifies in a low voice, drowned out by childish comments: "They're very funny, huh? They are at that age where their imagination has no limits."

   Henry manages to give a fake smile before replying: "Of course."

   No one notices the way his shoulders—and Eleven's—relax.

#

Once Eleven has said goodbye to all the children, she and Henry leave.

   When they're within a reasonable distance, Henry stops walking. Eleven imitates him and then looks up at him. He looks back at her.

   They stay like this, silent, probing each other for a few seconds.

   And then, without knowing who gives in first, little by little, the tremors become more and more evident...

   ... until they both end up laughing.