LX

"We would be back today, obviously. But if you're in, we must leave now. It's possible a lot of stores close at noon."

   As Hopper finishes explaining his idea—taking an hour's drive to a nearby city with a greater variety of shops—Joyce shoots Eleven a questioning look.

   "I... Yes. Thank you," she agrees in turn.

   "Great. Wait here; I'll go get the truck, left it parked around the corner."

   "Wait, Hop," Joyce calls before he can turn away. "Will this be... okay? Aren't you on business hours?"

   Hop lets out a laugh. "I'm the chief of police, Joyce! The motherfucking chief of police...!"

   "That's exactly what I mean!" the woman protests. "And if there is, I don't know, a robbery, a disappearance or something, and you're needed here...?"

   "I'm sure the occasional missing chicken is something my subordinates can take care of," Hopper grumbles, turning away. "Just wait here and then get in the damn truck."

   Joyce gapes at him, her outrage palpable. "Hop—!"

   But it's too late: he's already far enough away not to hear—or, perhaps, successfully ignore—her nagging.

#

"Fasten your seatbelts!" It's the only warning the sheriff offers before starting the truck and heading down the highway at full speed.

   "You don't have to drive like you're in a Formula One race!" Joyce protests.

   "You wanna get there today or not?!"

   "Hopper—!"

   "The little girl needs a dress, and we're getting her a dress!"

   In the backseat, with her nails clinging to the seat—because the seatbelt doesn't seem to be enough—Eleven giggles.

#

Hopper, Eleven discovers, is right: the stores in this city—whose name she's already forgotten—offer a much greater variety of clothes. Still, she still needs to try on a few until Joyce finds the perfect model.

   "Oooh, Jane, how about this one?"

   In her hands she holds a multi-layered gray-blue dress whose waist is encircled by a pink belt. Likewise, small specks of pink extend along its surface.

   "Pretty..." Eleven mumbles, running a hand along the hem, fascinated.

   "Isn't it?" Joyce pulls it closer. "Try it on!"

   She does as she's told.

   "And... how about these to complete the outfit?" Joyce adds, drawing the changing room curtain slightly to pass her a pair of shiny black ballerinas.

   Eleven accepts her recommendation: finally, she looks in the mirror.

   "You can... come in."

   Joyce draws the curtain and examines Eleven's reflection.

   "Wow," she admires. "I think we've found the right dress, don't you agree?"

   Eleven can't believe she's the beautifully dressed girl that watches her from the mirror.

   "Yeah..."

   "Great!" Joyce smiles at her. "Put your clothes back on; I'll wait for you in front of the register."

#

However, when the cashier tells them the total amount and Eleven procures the money from her backpack, she realizes she can't afford the dress, not to mention the shoes.

   Beside her, Joyce seems to notice her hesitation. "Jane?" she calls her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Is there something wrong, honey?"

   Eleven flinches, embarrassed. "I..." She looks at her without knowing how to articulate it; especially when the cashier is already giving her a curious look and she feels her whole body itching.

   It is then that Hopper bursts into the store.

   "Well, ladies? Did you find what you were looking for?" he asks them casually.

   Eleven refuses to look at him: she sincerely wants to die. They brought her here, and now it turns out that she doesn't have enough money to buy the dress...

   "I don't have... enough," she finally confesses under his breath.

   "Oh," Joyce blinks. "Well, uhm, I'm sure we could come back another day and—"

   Hopper raises an eyebrow. "And make the trip again? Nah."

   "Sorry," Eleven mutters. "I thought..."

   Hopper shrugs and goes to the cashier. "Wrap it up as a gift, please."

   Eleven stares at him; the officer, however, does not take his eyes off the young woman behind the counter.

   "Right away, sir," she hastens to reply. "And what about the shoes?"

   The officer does not hesitate: "Wrap everything up."