XLII

"You were looking for me. Do you need anything?" Henry asks her once the spider is back, safe and sound, inside its terrarium.

   Eleven remembers then what she came to tell him. "Oh! Today... Today I made a friend, my first friend!" she says with a smile. "Her name is Max, she has red hair and she likes skating and..."

   Eleven spends a good few minutes describing her new friend in detail. Henry, who enjoys seeing her talkative, watches her with a fond smile.

   Once she finishes her exposition, however, he tells her with a mischievous tone: "I'm happy for you, Eleven. But... I just have to ask: what do you mean she's your first friend? Didn't you say that you had made a lot of friends at school before?"

   The girl feels her cheeks boil with shame: she had completely forgotten that lie. "I... Uhm...What I... mean...is that Max is... Max..."

   Henry chuckles and reaches up to ruffle her unruly curls in a warm gesture. "I'm just teasing you; I perfectly understand."

   "Yeah?" babbles Eleven. "Because... it's not that I lied to you... Well, yes, but it's not like I wanted to lie to you..."

   "Oh, no, I understand," Henry assures her once again. "Just remember, Eleven, that you can tell me anything."

   "Anything...?"

   "Yes. We are together in this. And I am ready to listen to anything you want to say and help you with anything you need."

   Something strange happens then. Eleven does not know how to define it, not exactly.

   No, it is something that she will only know how to name years later.

   However, even if she doesn't know what causes it or how to name it, the sudden tugging she feels in her chest is here to stay.