XCVIII

The hallway is empty. It's to be expected since everyone is in class. It's just her and Mike and the sound of the ball bouncing inside the gym and the squeak of the sneakers sliding across the wooden floor.

   Mike crosses his arms and looks at her with an expression that she can't exactly decipher.

   He seems... upset. Frustrated.

   Neither of them speaks for a few seconds. Finally, Mike's expression seems to soften; slowly, he uncrosses his arms and asks: "So... We're not gonna talk about it?"

   Eleven frowns. "About what?"

   Mike raises an eyebrow. "I don't know... Maybe... about the other day or... well, everything?"

   She doesn't know what he expects her to say. She shrugs. "There's nothing to say."

   The boy breathes in again. "I guess... I'm a little... Well, I don't understand."

   "You were there," Eleven replies.

   "Yeah, and I saw what happened from the front seat," Mike reminds her. "And that's why I don't understand... Jane, you know that I've been a victim of bullying too, right?" She doesn't say anything; he just watches her. "I mean, I'm not exactly 'Mr. Popular'..."

   Eleven assumes that admission costs her nothing: "Yes... I know."

   "Then you should know that I have never reacted the way you have."

   Eleven frowns. "What are you—?"

   "I'm sorry, Jane, but as your boyfriend, I have to tell you," he insists. "What you did was wrong."

   She would like to defend herself. She would like to point out to him that she showed restraint.

   But that would only make me a monster, she tells herself.

   "Yes," she admits then. "I know."

   This seems to disarm Mike, who sighs. "Jane..." The boy approaches and takes her hands in his; she allows it. "I don't want you to think I'm not on your side, because I am. But being on your side is also wanting you to be a better person and—"

   "Enough."

   A pause. It takes Mike a moment to collect himself. "Wha—?"

   Eleven doesn't know where it came from either, but she purses her lips and lowers her gaze. "If you're on my side, if you really are, don't say anything else."

   "Jane..."

   She shakes her head and takes a step back; Mike's hands fall limply at his sides.

   "Not anymore... I don't want to hear it," she sputters, and she doesn't know why she's being so irrational, why she can't just accept Mike's words (after all, she's already admitted to being wrong!) and turn the page.

   "But, Jane—"

   She runs down the hallway toward the ladies' room.

   Mike doesn't follow her.