x. | the bathtub

chapter x

chapter x. | the bathtub
"drop the son of a bitch"
══════════════════

        JONATHAN WATCHED CASSIE'S KNEE BOB UP AND DOWN QUICKLY. The three teens had been in the station for about an hour now and it was clear that Cassie's nerves were starting to get the best of her.

        "You okay?" he asked her. She looked over at him.

        "What? Me? I'm fine. Just haven't had anything to calm down my nerves in a while," she ranted.

        Joyce and Hopper finally walked through the door and stormed toward the three teenagers. Joyce was shocked at the sight of her son, Cassie Henderson, and Nancy Wheeler sitting in the police office.

        "Hey," said Joyce as she walked toward them. "Jonathan?" She saw the handcuffs and the ice. "Jesus, what-what happened?"

        "Ma'am..." Officer Callahan stepped forward.

        "I'm fine," Jonathan told his mother, looking at the desk. Cassie left hand was encased in both of Jonathan's, still holding the ice against his knuckles with her right hand.

        "Why is he wearing handcuffs?" Joyce asked Callahan.

        "Well, your boy assaulted a police officer. That's why," Callahan told her. Cassie spun her head to face him.

        "By accident, Phil, you know that," she pleaded, knowing that Jonathan wouldn't have done it willingly.

        "Take them off," Joyce ordered.

        "I am afraid I cannot do that," Callahan told her.

        "Take them off!" Joyce yelled, pointing at the handcuffs.

        "You heard her," backed up Hopper. "Take 'em off."

        "Chief," Powell stepped forward. "I get everyone's emotional here, but there's something you need to see."

        Powell and Callahan took Hopper out of the building before they returned with all their supplies. Cassie closed her eyes and sighed in distress, knowing that this wouldn't end well. Joyce searched through their box of supplies as Jonathan glared up at Hopper. Nancy looked down in shame.

        "What is this?" Joyce asked, sifting through.

        "Why don't you ask your son?" Hopper said spitefully. "We found it in his car."

        "What?" Joyce asked Jonathan in shock. Jonathan ignored her.

        "Why are you going through my car?" Jonathan asked Hopper angrily.

        "Is that really the question you should be asking right now?" Hopper asked Jonathan, leaning on the table toward him intimidatingly. "I wanna see you in my office." He turned to Cassie. "That means you too, Henderson."