Chapter 8

Third Person's POV

Nandini looks around in awe as she enters the mall with Vikrant.

She has never been to such a place in her life.

When she was a child, her parents bought her clothes. They used to take Vivek with them for shopping, but never her.

And after she grew up, they gave her just enough allowance to buy the basics. So, she could only afford to buy things from the market, where everything was cheaper. She never came to such a fancy place because she never had the budget.

Vivek used to tell her he would take her shopping once he got the first salary from his first job after completing his MBA.

But before that could happen—

Nandini stops that thought, blinking back the tears that come unbidden to her eyes at her brother's memory.

"What do you want to buy? Let's get this over with so we can return home," Vikrant tells her rudely, and Nandini sighs.

"Umm, it's okay. We can return now. I have clothes that I can wear to go to the office. I don't need anything," she lies.

She doesn't have any formal clothes to wear, but she can buy them from the market at a lower price.

She sold the jewelry her parents gave her and got about three hundred thousand rupees from that. She left the major portion of that in her suitcase at Vikrant's house and brought only twenty thousand with her because she felt it would be enough for her to buy at least four formal dresses and two pairs of shoes.

But all the shops here look so expensive. I don't think I can even buy one dress with twenty thousand rupees, let alone four dresses and two pairs of shoes. She feels dismayed by that thought.

"Mom has specifically told me that you should have more shopping bags than we can carry when we return home. She would surely want to see what you bought. So, please, let's just go and do it soon. I don't have the whole day to roam around with you." Saying that, Vikrant turns and enters a shop, leaving no choice with Nandini other than to follow him.

Entering the shop, she gasps as she sees a vast collection of beautiful dresses hanging around.

She slowly walks inside and touches the dresses, feeling their softness under her hands. Just by touching them, she realizes they must be of the best quality—so much so that she is almost hesitant to keep touching them, not wanting to cause any creases on them.

Vikrant looks at Nandini, exploring the shop and touching the dresses with a slight smile on her face.

He knew she liked the dresses because he could see how she looked at them. And the gentle way she was touching them.

He feels a pinch in his heart when she suddenly wipes her hands with her shawl before touching a dress that the mannequin was wearing.

The soft, innocent smile and the awe on her face make her look adorable. It's as if she is seeing and doing all this for the first time.

He has a meeting in four hours, and he wants to reach home within the next three hours so he can prepare for it, but now, looking at her explore with such subtle excitement that she is trying to hide, he doesn't have the heart to tell her to stop.

Why the hell am I being thoughtful towards her? He wonders, and shaking off that thought, he is about to walk toward Nandini to tell her to hurry, but he stops when he sees a salesgirl approaching Nandini.

"Ma'am, I think you have come to the wrong place," the girl says, making him frown.

"What do you mean?" He hears Nandini ask.