Chapter 13

Third Person's POV

Sitting on the bed in Vikrant's room with her back leaning against the headboard, Nandini repeatedly switches on and off the lamp on the bedside table, staring ahead at the alternating contrast of light and darkness as she recalls her father's bitter words.

Her heart clenches painfully in her chest when she recalls him calling her his son's murderer.

She closes her eyes and lets the tears fall as she recounts the events leading up to that fateful night of her brother's death.

"I just met Rishabh. He and his parents were leaving, and I didn't get to talk with him much, but he told me you two have become good friends," Vivek told Nandini after entering her room and sitting beside her on the bed. "It's nice that you have started coming out of your shell and started to make some friends. Good for you."

He frowned when she continued looking down to the floor and didn't respond to what he said.

Keeping his hand on her shoulder, he gently shook her, trying to get her attention. "Did you hear what I said, Nandini?"

When she glanced up at him, he gasped, seeing her red-rimmed eyes and puffy face.

He narrowed his eyes when he saw a mark on her cheek. It looked as if someone had slapped her.

"What happened? Why are you crying? And what is that mark on your face? Did Maa and Papa—" Before he could complete that question, Nandini shook her head and stood up from the bed. She then walked to the corner of the room.

"It's nothing, Vivek. And Maa and Papa didn't do anything," she said, hoping he would drop the matter.

But he walked to her and made her turn to him. "Maa and Papa only used to be indifferent toward you before I went to the States. Have they also started raising their hand on you in my absence? Because if they have, I will—" He was saying when she interrupted him again.

"It's not Maa and Papa. They have never raised their hands on me. Just leave it, please." She felt hurt as well as angry for having to lie and hide things from her brother.

Peering at her, Vivek regarded her thoughtfully. He knew she was lying about something. That there was something she was not telling him about.

When he suddenly took her hand and placed it on his head, Nandini realized what he was about to do. She tried to remove her hand, but his hold was too strong.

"Swear on me and tell me it's nothing," he said. "Come on, if you want me to leave it, tell me you are not hiding anything from me."

Unable to take it anymore, Nandini burst out in sobs.

Alarmed seeing her cry, Vivek loosened his hold on her, and she slumped to the floor, continuing to sob.

Vivek crouched in front of her and loosely hugged her, trying to calm her down.

"What happened? Please tell me," He asked after her cries reduced.

"Rishabh isn't a good person," Nandini said.

"What do you mean? He is a successful, self-established businessman. I have always considered him a well-mannered and dignified person because of the way he respectfully talks with Maa and Papa. You must be mistaken about him," Vivek told her, frowning because he was unable to understand why she was bad-mouthing Rishabh.