Chapter 29

Vikrant

"Do you like the place?" I ask Nandini, looking at her from across the table.

I felt ecstatic when she said yes to going out with me. A little hope budded in my heart about her possibly giving our marriage a chance as time passed.

I know I'll need to work harder to gain her trust and hopefully her love, too, but I feel she is worth it. She is worth trying for, worth waiting for.

Not only did she agree to come out for dinner with me, but she also wore the dress I bought for her. The dress she had loved when we went to the mall that one day.

I was waiting for her in the living room when she descended the stairs, the dress looking like it was made for her.

The red color complemented her skin tone, the design accentuating her curves. And with the elegant makeup she put on, I could only stare at her, my breath hitching as she ambled toward me with a slight smile on her face, looking like an angel.

I had sighed then, lowly chuckling and shaking my head, unable to believe how I, Vikrant Sisodiya, fell head over heels with Nandini Iyer, who is such a contrast to other girls I used to date.

Maybe it's because she is such a contrast that I fell for her.

"This is a beautiful place, Vikrant," she replies, looking around the place.

I also looked around, glad that I had brought Nandini here. The ambiance here is warm, the live music soothing, and people have been raving in their reviews about the delicious food served in this place.

That's why I thought this place would be perfect for our first date.

I'm not sure if Nandini thinks of it as a date, but for me, it is. And I'll make sure it goes smoothly, without any hitch, not letting any awkwardness seep between us.

"So, the party is only five days away. I hear that your gown is ready now. All alterations done?" I ask.

Although I'm itching to see how she looks in that gown, I want to wait until the party.

Mom even asked me if I wanted to see the photo she took while Nandini was wearing it, but I refused, wanting to wait until that night.

I know it's somewhat silly, but I want to savor each moment of seeing her in that beautiful gown custom-made for her. I want to be with her that whole night, drinking her in, making new memories with her.

There is still no surety about what will become of us in the future. I don't know whether she'll give our relationship one more chance or not.

But no matter the outcome, I'll keep trying, making new memories with her that will either serve as a beginning of our forever or become the wistful memories to remember Nandini after she walks out of my life.

When I told Nandini I would respect whatever decision she'll take, I meant it.

Some time back, I had come across a saying. It was something like—She was my love, so I let her go. She would have been in my arms if she were my obsession.

I had huffed after reading it then, unable to understand why someone would let their love go.

But now, I have realized why I could not understand it then. It was because I had never loved anyone truly until then.

Now that I have fallen for my wife, I realize how true those words are. I love Nandini and desperately hope she decides to stay with me forever. But I won't force her to be with me. It should be her decision, her free will, to either choose me or leave me.