Chapter 16

If I thought Cristina was scary during interviews, I stand corrected. This lady chills me to my bones. She smells great so she's good, but the way her silver eyes pierced through my very existence had me stiff as a rock. I managed to seem relaxed and professional, but I also tried to be as much of myself as possible. I wanted Ms. Keller to get a feel for who I am. She was the only one eating anything, Stella and I didn't order anything except for some water.

"So Quinn, how did you meet Stella anyway?" I took a sip of water, never severing eye contact with her. If anything, I'll command her to allow me to work. "Stella and I have been friends for a while." I didn't know what else to say really, it's a lie. Stella isn't my friend, nor have I known her long. Only like, 3 weeks now? I wonder what Cris and Gray are doing right now. "We met in college, but didn't come in contact until recently." Stella cut in, probably since my answer was far too short. Ms. Keller sat quietly for a while, just eating away at her salad, her eyes finally torn away from me.

We've already been here for 20 minutes, so I was starting to seriously feel over it. I just want to go home already. "Well then, congrats Quinn." Stella's eyebrows flew up and I almost choked on my water at the sudden and simple comment. "Wow seriously?" Stella seemed more shocked than me, and Keller had enough guts to laugh. "Well sure, your current assistant is actually going on vacation for a month I believe. So this is actually perfect, plus you two have chemistry. I'd be dumb not to take her." Stella's lips pursed as if she'd just bit a lemon, then turned to me and squinted at me. I just gave her a look like what? and she turned back to Keller. "Chemistry?"

"Well sure. You two are comfortable with each other, I can see that even if you both seemed to be a little tense. A natural trust. You start work tomorrow, sound good Miss Quinn?" She held her manicured hand out for me to shake, and I jumped to take it in mine. Her arm trembled for a second, probably because my hand was freezing, before shaking it and then returning it to her fork. Stella seemed to be processing the situation, so Ms. Keller stood and said her goodbyes to me before taking off. "So, shall we get going, Strawberry?"

***

Next thing I knew, it was morning and instead of making breakfast, I was dressing up in my black hoodie with a black and red flannel plus black jeans. I pulled my red beanie over my black locks, fluffing up the front to not look too messy but natural. I walked downstairs and saw Stella waiting for me, dressed in black camo leggings and a white V neck shirt that might be a little too tight due to the... display of curves that were far more noticeable than appropriate. "You'll freeze to death in that, especially on my bike." I couldn't stop the rush of blood to my cheeks. I walked to the door and swung it open to prove my point. She shivered but pouted at me, "I'll be fine. And we're going in my car, thank you very much."

She drove us in her comfortable red Honda civic, playing her pop music at a manageable volume. We both held coffee flasks in our hands, taking sips every so often. I was kinda nervous, a new environment with new people who don't know the truth about us. "I just received a text from my boss, do you mind reading it to me?" She held her phone out for me, but before I could grab it she pulled it to her chest, glancing at me sidelong. "Only read the text. If I see you look at anything else, I'll kill you." I snatched her phone, puckering my top lip out like a child. "Yeah yeah, Your Highness."

I read it to myself and laughed silently to myself, what a coincidence. "The heater is broken. So she's telling you to wear warm clothes." She cussed audibly, making me laugh harder. I rolled my eyes, putting my flask in the cup holder then pulled my flannel off. "What are you doing?" She asked full of confusion, but I assumed she saw me pulling the hoodie over my head since the car swerved a little. I pulled my hair back, away from my face and grabbed my pulled off beanie next to my feet to my lap. "Are you insane?! You're half naked!" That just made me laugh harder, pulling the flannel around my shoulders and buttoning it up. "You're gonna freeze to death because you're just that type of girl. So I'm gonna give you my hoodie. As a vampire, this temperature is perfect for me so I won't need it."

When we arrived, I passed her the hoodie for her to put on then stepped out of the car. When I saw her again, she was wearing my hoodie that fit her a tiny, little bit tight. We both walked into the office, into the lobby first and then through some cubicles. But we seemed to walk past all of them to a separate room, which she had the key for. Inside was her office, I could tell because there were only 2 tables, a book shelf, couches, chairs, and a pile of paperwork.

"Here's how you do your job. When I need something, you get it for me. That table is yours, my emails go to you. You revise them and answer back, unless it's really important then tell me and I'll tell you what to say. That paperwork needs to be revised and edited, but don't sign. That's my job." So in other words, you're gonna sit there and look pretty while I do everything. "So what the hell do you do?" She sat down in her plush, white, roller chair and bent her back to stretch- but it instead made the hoodie stretch harder against her chest making me turn my head immediately. "I write stories, look at my notes, and make it interesting."

I turned to look at her, and noticed that her eyes gleamed with something, and her lips were tight in a mock relaxed position. Is my reaction to her.... assets- amusing to her?! I sat down and opened my stringy bag, pulling out glasses I'd convinced Stella I'd use eventually—then got to work on emails. She started typing away immediately, her fingers flying over the keyboard with perfect precision. Meanwhile, I read junk, offers, crap about savings, schedules, etc. Goddess it's gonna be a long fucking day.