Chapter 5

* I felt like I was in a dream. *

Happy opened the door for us both, holding out his hand for us generously. I thanked him and followed quickly behind Pepper who quickly pulled open the back door of the shop. We walked through an empty hallway, heading towards the front of the establishment. A few staff members gave us nods to acknowledge our presence, but they went about their way, keeping busy.

Pepper greeted a heavier set woman who's face was adorned with wrinkles. She had the kindest eyes and the goofiest smile as she gave Pepper a hug.

"Welcome back Mrs. Potts. I have many selections for you and your guest to search through. I have a feeling you will be impressed." She raised her eyebrow at the redhead with a smirk.

"I'm always impressed with your selection Mrs. Valentine." Pepper then turned towards me, letting Mrs. Valentine acknowledge me. "This is my new assistant I told you about. Miss Tucker this is Mrs. Valentine, the wonderful lady who helps style me for my most important events."

I shyly waved and gave the older lady a smile, but that wasn't enough. She reminded me of your typical grandma, that rushes you the minute you step through her door and tackles you in a hug. As she wrapped her arms around me and chuckles, I was overwhelmed with her floral perfume. A small giggle escaped my lips as she let me go.

"Well, darling. Let's get started immediately. Let me show you some selections I picked out." She grabbed my hand and started leading me to a large rack she had set aside. There were so many gowns in different styles and colors, I wasn't really sure where to start. Mrs. Valentine turned back to me, her brown eyes hopeful and excited. "So tell me what catches your eye. What style dresses do you like, anything like that."

I scanned the dresses on the rack, trying to find anything about them that either made me happy or turned me away. They were all gorgeous dresses, but one thing still made me anxious.

"I really think these dresses look beautiful from where they hang. The only thing I worry about is..." I hesitated, trying to think of a good word to use. "Modesty. I don't like to show off too much skin."

Mrs. Valentine smiled once again, calming my nerves just a bit. "Oh no worries at all. I can whip up something that still brings out your features all the same. Do you like any certain colors? Just looking at your skin tone and your gorgeous hair, I believe you look smashing in darker colors."

I was quite shocked that she could figure that out. "Yes ma'am. I like black, emerald green and navy. Sometimes red looks nice but it depends on the dress."

She clapped happily and ushered me to sit on the couches she had next to the racks. She moved swiftly between racks, picking up hangers that carried beautiful gowns. I only saw dresses that had sleeves and modest necklines, and for that I was grateful. Pepper was in another dressing room, already picking out her dresses.

"Go and try these on. If you feel comfortable, come out and let me see so you can have a second opinion. I know we just met but I can help you with anything you need...now shoo!" She waved her hands towards me, pushing me into the dressing room. It was large enough to have two sofa chairs and a coffee table in it.

I started trying on dresses, opting to stay in the room so that I wouldn't risk anyone seeing any marks on me. There were multiple dresses that I gave up because they showed too much, and I was worried that when it would be time to wear them, I would be risking someone seeing a bruise or discoloration. I did end up finding a few options, happily showing Pepper and Mrs. Valentine what I liked.