xiomara.

xiomara ruiz was a gentle soul.

just kidding.

xiomara had a hatred for just about anything.

you could do as little as look at her and she'd be on your ass about something.

one time when she was five, she was at ballet practice and one of the other girls rolled her eyes at her, and somehow, xiomara ended up on top of her throwing punches. that was the girl's first fight. also her last day at ballet.

her mother and grandmother had a theory that xiomara was the way that she was because she was born the day of the dead. her abuela said that the evil spirits cursed her on the way to visit their family. most of her family seemed to agree as well, but xiomara thought it was total bullshit.

the only person that could even crack a smile out of the girl was gavin runes, the son to the ruiz's next door neighbors.

xiomara thought gavin was dorky, but in a good way.

he never judged her for her.

the duo met when they were six, and were inseparable all the way up until ninth grade.

it's well known that people say you make new friends in high school and drift away from your old ones, but xiomara ruiz and gavin runes were certain that wouldn't be the case with them.

that was, until they received their schedules at freshman orientation only to see that they had zero classes together.

the two still made sure to meet up and walk each other to the other's classes and sit with each other at lunch every day.

that went well, and their bond was as strong as ever.

that was, until gavin met the afterlifers.

he pretty much left mara in the dust.

he didn't even talk to her to discuss the future of their friendship, he just straight up ghosted her.

he stopped walking her to her classes, and he stopped sitting with her at lunch. hell, when the girl went to his house one day, his mother said that he wasn't home, despite the fact that she could very well see him peaking through his living room curtains.

xiomara was just as angry as ever. her only friend had ghosted her with no explanation, and pretended she wasn't there whenever she tried to talk to him.

she went through half of freshman year friendless.

the other half, she met two girls names erika and gia.

their wonderful friendship started when xiomara sat in erika's seat one day in english, and erika called her out on it, resulting in xiomara pouring a bottle of water over erika's head.

just lovely.

mara and gavin wouldn't talk to each other again (despite all the awkward looks they gave each other when they were both outside their homes at the same time, or when they accidentally made eye contact in the hallways) until their senior year.

except, it would be different.

the next time that xiomara would speak to him, she would be a ghost.

and he would only realize that he took her for granted all those years, and now the girl he's loved for all those years was gone.