Chapter 9- Arriving on the Death Star

(September 21, 2013)

Hall slowly walks into one of the passenger areas on the Millenium Falcon. He'd been taking a nap for a little while, and just woke up.

As he walks in, he sees Luke, holding his new lightsaber, and training with a remote in blocking blaster bolts. Hall stops and looks Luke, feeling a slight sense of déjà vu, remembering the last time he saw that lightsaber in use.

"Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him," Obi Wan says.

"You mean it controls your actions?" Luke asks.

"Partially, but it also obeys your commands," Obi Wan says.

The remote darts around a bit, then fires again, hitting Luke. Han laughs, and he says, "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

"Don't be too sure, Solo," Hall says.

Luke deactivates his saber before he asks, "You don't believe in the Force, do you?"

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believed there's one all powerful force controlling everything. There's not mystical energy field controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense," Han says.

Obi Wan just smiles before he picks up a helmet and walks over to Luke, saying, "I suggest you try it again, Luke. This time, let go your conscious self, and act on instinct." He then sets the helmet on Luke's head, the visor covering his eyes.

"But...with the blast shield down, I can't even see. How am I supposed to fight?" Luke asks.

"Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them," Obi Wan says.

Luke sighs, then ignites his lightsaber again. The remote darts around a bit, then fires again, hitting Luke. Luke groans and resets his stance.

"Stretch out with your feelings," Obi Wan says.

Luke sighs, then raises the saber. Luke stays still for a few moments, then moves his saber to block three straight shots from the remote.

"You see? You can do it," Obi Wan says.

"I call it luck," Han says.

"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck," Obi Wan says.

"Agreed," Hall says. He then looks at Luke and says, "You know, wielding that saber, Skywalker...you remind me of your father."

Luke looks at Hall in surprise. "You knew my father too?" he asks.

Hall is quiet for a moment, a number of images racing through his mind. His first training session under Anakin. He and Anakin fighting side by side on Geonosis. Working with Anakin to rescue the captured Togruta. Working with him on the Temple bombing case. Rescuing Palpatine and dueling Dooku on the Invisible Hand. And finally, hearing the sound as his lightsaber cut off Anakin's limbs on Mustafar.

"Yes. I knew your father. He trained me on how to use a lightsaber, and I fought beside him many times," he says.

Han looks at Hall. "So, the Terran Alliance is real. Always thought you guys were a story," Han says.

Hall grins a bit. "Oh, we're real. It's not surprising that the Empire has tried to make it seem like we're just a story. I can see why. If more people knew we were real, it would inspire more rebellion against the Empire, and probably lead people to drag us back into this fight. The Empire knows that my people have an appetite and a talent for war, and we've got some pretty d*** good tools to do it with," he says.