One

The trees danced with every passing breeze of the wind. He stood alone in a cliff watching the nature turning yellow and brown, the wet soil covered with dead leaves, destined to decay under the change of the season. He closed his eyes to appreciate the quietness the nature offered. Soon he would miss this, days coming and end without him voicing a single word. He would miss the lack of people, even the wet clothes on his body in the nights he couldn't find shelter.
But Naruto had summoned him. And he ought to return. He had been thinking about it for a while, that maybe he should go back, find a different kind of shelter for the days that he would grow tired of the mountains and the lakes, of the blood on his clothes, of dark caves and enemies lurking in them. It was a world of peace, most of his time he just travelled around, observing and learning about the things that he had missed. He wasn't really needed. The missions Naruto offered him were mostly out of courtesy. Just a destination to keep him going, just a way to earn some money. There was trouble of course, there always going to be trouble, but not enough for a monster like him to be needed.
Naruto had found his place, he had created this world in the end. He had the strength to destroy the planet, yet the ability to create something new with just his words.
Sasuke didn't possess such talent. He had strength, great strength that was undeniable, but nothing more. And at this point in time, his strength wasn't needed. The world, its people wanted soothe and comfort, a way to lick their wounds and to gather their pieces. And he had no way to offer that.
He took a step forward. Maybe he should retire. He had thought about that too. But he didn't know what to do after he would sign his resignation. He had no particular talent, no hobbies or something to be passionate about. Women didn't move him, men neither. So he continued to walk on this same path.
He took another step. Maybe the return would be good. Perhaps he would find something in the place he had abandoned many times in the past.
He walked in slow pace as if he was tired. He wasn't, not really but no matter what he told himself he wasn't eager to go back. He could use his ability and be there in mere seconds but he wanted to give a proper goodbye to the journey he had started years ago.
He had gone back sometimes, in rare occasions and he always left after a day or two. He chose to stay in an inn, despite Naruto's efforts to make him sleep at his house. Sakura had offered her spare bedroom but he would prefer to stay in pool of mud.
He had visited the blonde at his new house. The one he shared with his wife. He hadn't been at his wedding, offering an excuse of an important mission. They both knew it was a lie and chose to not address it. He simply wanted to avoid the crowd meant to gather at a wedding as this. Important figures from every village, commoners and people he had grew with would be there. And Sasuke wasn't in the mood for such a gathering.
The thing that bothered him the least was the wife herself. She was quite, almost lost in the background, even in the times only the three of them were in the house. She shared few words, offered tea and food and let them stay alone. He didn't know Hinata Hyuga and the truth was he never learnt more about her in the years of her marriage with the idiot. He seemed happy with her and Sasuke had a feeling that she took care of him well. Their house was always clean, even if he arrived announced, there was always food, his clothes were tidy and new.
The blonde smiled a lot, and she had her eyes on him whenever he saw her.
So when he learnt about the divorce, he was shocked and not many things could cause such an effect. Sakura had wrote him, telling him the news, asking him to come home. He didn't. Not for a year, not staying for a day long. Naruto seemed fine, maybe less cheerful but still fine, and he never told him what happened. And Sasuke never asked. He had moved out of the house, it was too big he had said, but Sasuke believed it was more than that. His wife had returned back to her family home and the house left alone and abandoned, to rot like the leaves under his feet. Another year and a half had passed since then.
The sky was purple when he left the last trees of the forest behind him and walked to the gates. He had concealed his presence until he was almost at the village, in a whimp. He wanted to see if Naruto would manage to be there in the little time he would give him.
He smirked when he saw the blonde waiving at his direction. He was alone, his Hogake attire on his shoulders.
"Did you use your rinnegan? I almost missed you." The rusky voice rang in his ears.
"Hn." Sasuke agreed, not wanting to hurt him.
The man hugged him and he returned the gesture.
"Welcome back teme." He said cheerfully.
They walked further inside, as Sasuke looked around to see what had changed. The Hogake monument was still there, the faces of the former leaders observing the life of the village.
The streets were more lighted and more crowded than before.
"What do you think?" Naruto asked as he saw his stare.
"You draw too much attention." Sasuke responded and Naruto laughed.
"You realised didn't you? We have more people than ever before. Some came to live here. But many started families after the war. It's kinda why I asked you to come back." He said with his palm behind the back of his head.
"Do you want me to build houses?" Sasuke said with a smirk.
"No." Naruto laughed again but more awkwardly this time. "We will talk about it tomorrow."
He looked at his front and then again on him.
"Ramen? My treat." He said and Sasuke agreed for old time sakes.
It was like before for most of the time. Except that Naruto was now really recognisable and many people had come to their table to greet him. He hadn't seen this side of him, since everytime he had come back in the past, he had met him in his office or at his house.
He insisted to accommodate him but Sasuke refused. They agreed to meet up again in the morning and parted their ways.
Sasuke lied at the bed of the hotel room and he could hear the sound of the busy streets, the people talking and he felt tired. And it was just his first day.