Twenty

Naruto had come. Then Shikamaru. At the end a member of the anbu team. When all their efforts of finding her had turned fruitless, a letter was left at the compound.
The words were simple, but she could trace the softened tone that was used and the actual one that the man had spoken. Her presence was requested any time she would find it convenient. She thought that no time would be and let the letter be thrown in the trash.
She should at least clean the mess, not because of the whispers it would bring, but more for the worry her father and sister would have when they would finally return.
It was inevitable for them to find it out of course and she was thinking what kind of words to use to seem less petty. Because in the end, that's what she was. Petty. Yet, there was no other option. Anything else and her heart would never stop to ache. The sour taste on her mouth would cover any other. She made a choice, and she chose selfishly.
Her muscles were still sore, when the adrenaline had faded out, the pain took over. She had perhaps overdone it, nevertheless the burden of the last few days, had vanished.
Her sleeve raised a little as she moved her hand and observed a cut that was already old. Her thoughts traveled to him and the delicacy his moves held as he cleaned her. She raised her gaze and looked at him, he was absorbed by the scroll he was holding. His brows had a slight frown.
"The ink has faded in this part." He said without looking up. There was irritation in his voice to match with his expression.
He never asked again about what happened, why she did what she did. He just kept on coming, behaving like he always did.
"It's like they are trying even now to be secretive." He added in the same tone.
"Let me see." Only then he raised his stare.
She realised with just one glance that it was impossible to read some parts. But she kept looking at the paper, pretending to try.
"Do you want some more coffee?" He asked and got up, walking to her kitchen.
His presence had almost become a part of the house, he moved around with ease now, ease for both of them.
She looked at her hand again.
He walked back and she looked away.
Her mug was left at the table and she took it. The warmth feeling along with the smell fitted well the winter weather.
He was still standing, drinking from his own coffee.
"Are you free tonight?" He asked, seemingly bored, but the slight hurry in the way the words were expressed told otherwise.
She nodded.
"I would drink from that sake again." He said and the mug found his lips.
"It would be for the best to stay low for now." She replied. "I appreciate the thought. Maybe some other time."
"It doesn't have to be in the village." He spoke again. "There's a place at the south border."
She left to stare at him for a moment.
"And it serves good sake?" She asked then.
"Better than what this place has." He responded.
"So..at nine?"
He nodded.
"I will not dress nicely." He mocked.
"Okay." She replied and he finally sat back on the chair.

____

The south border was close to sea, so she decided to wear heavy clothes. Maybe a better set of pants and a coat instead of a jacket. It was an evening out, despite everything.
He came, exactly on time. He had dressed casual as he had promised to do, but if she could guess, he had picked his clothes more carefully than usual.
She took his hand, the feeling of jumping from a high height on her stomach, had become familiar by now. They arrived behind an alley, maybe to not cause a scene. She didn't know exactly how this power worked. She should ask him one of these days.
When they turned, she realised that the precaution he had taken was unecessary. The road was empty. The whole place seemed abandoned, or sleepy to be more precise. It was natural, this was a fishing town, it bloomed along with the first flowers.
He seemed slightly disappointed, perhaps when he had visited before, the days were longer, the moon rose at a later hour.
He walked nevertheless, passing through what it appeared to be a main road and arriving at a wooden platform. It cricked with every step as they walked in silence, some lamps were on, lighting the road. She could smell the sea, yet she could not see it clearly. It was an endless black on her right side. Perhaps if the moon was full and bright, it would be easier.
She could hear it, thought. The subtle hit of the water on the platform, reminded her that it was there.
They arrived in front of a store and he stopped. He seemed reluctant for a moment, but then he opened the door and she followed him inside. The heat hit her face, making her understand the previous cold and humidity.
Contrast to the atmosphere from outside, the place was lively, warm. People sat on wooden tables and stools, drinking, laughing, not minding the newcomers. He found a spot on the back, beside one of the three windows.
As she sat she looked outside, but the salt had made the glass blurry.
She turned around when a man arrived to take their order. He completely dismissed her, as his eyes were fixed on Sasuke, a serious expression on his face.
"I thought you would be dead by now." He said.
She looked at the man seating across her. His expression didn't betray any emotion.
"Sorry to disappoint you." He replied in his monotonous tone.
The man started laughing. The noise was wholesome and kind, making him seem younger despite his age.
"Good to see you." He said then and his attention was brought to her.
"Hello there. I'm sorry for my manners."
She shook her head.
"No need for apologising."
"We'll have the usual." Sasuke spoke.
"Rude and impatient. The worst customer." The man replied, still looking at her.
She smiled.
"I'm Futoshi."
"Nice to meet you Futoshi-san." She bowed her head.
"Oh, what a well mannered lady. Has he kidnapped you?" The man laughed again.
"Don't let it fool you old man. She is not as well mannered as she seems."
"If you need help." The man spoke again. "Just tell me."
"Don't you have work to do? This place is full?"
"Okay, okay." The man said moving his hand.
When he was gone, her attention was brought back to him. She parted her lips to speak, but two cups and a bottle were on their table. A woman had come this time, her appearance resembling the older man. His daughter, if she could guess.
When they were alone again, he poured each glass. He drank first and she followed.
"I came here on a mission long ago." He answered her question before she made it. "Nothing difficult, but the owner was thankful. I kept visiting this place after that. It has good liquor."
"It's nice." She looked around.
"It's decent." He responded and drank again. "But I like it."
A plate came after, steaming hot, the smell of meat hitting her noise. She suddenly felt hungry.
"Suit yourself." He prompted her but made no move to eat himself.
After a bite or two, she could almost see her cheeks painted red, as the cold was slowly leaving her body.
"You seem almost human." He said.
"Is that a compliment?" She asked with a little laugh.
"It could be." He said. "If I meant that your regular state is bad."
She didn't answer.
"I do not." He added as if she had misunderstood.
She filled their cups this time.
"You can hold your liquor."
"It's just a trade I was born with." She put her hair behind her ear. "I enjoy a drink or two in some occasions."
"Your hair has grown." He pointed then.
She touched them unconsciously.
"It takes some time to be in their former state." She let her hand fall.
"Why did you cut it?"
"Eat. It would be a shame if it gets cold."
She took another bite to keep her mouth busy. He mimicked her movement. But when he swallowed he spoke again.
"So?"
"I thought they would be nice." She replied.
"For you or for him?"
She eyed him.
"For a married woman." She responded.
"To be presentable?" He asked.
"For the most part."
"And the other part?" His eyes never moved.
"To be desirable." She replied evenly.
If her answer surspised him, he didn't let it show.
"I don't think that makes anyone more or less desirable." He offered his thought, pointed at her with his fork.
"I agree."
"If I find you as such, it doesn't matter what length your hair is."
There was silence for a moment.
"So what are you going to do with the commotion you brought?" He asked and his tone was different now.
She spoke, straight, normal. She spoke and the words flew out of her mouth independently from the thoughts inside her mind. She spoke and she sounded normal, she seemed normal, she was sure, yet the truth was that she had this lingering sense of fear.