Chapter 2

The morning was beautiful, couldn't ask for a better day. I slid through the crowd easily. Absentmindedly I pulled my hood closer to me. A habit I suppose, the scar that marred my face was too big a giveaway. It'd only take a handful of slip ups and we'd have to abandon our post and find new ground.

I still wished the boys would just go on their own. Being around me was dangerous. An image of Gordons gaping eye socket sent a shiver down my spine. No, we tried going our separate ways. It didn't work.

"Whistle." Ion's voice echoed in my head.

"Whistle if there's trouble." I breathed continuing my journey through the crowd.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" A voice carried across the courtyard. People turned and gawked at the performance before them. A dazzling display of oddities presented themselves. Men on stilts, people in bizarre costumes, humans breathing fire. I found myself momentarily distracted. I shook my head and refocused on the task at hand. As I slid through the crowd my hands slipped into open pockets. Coins fell into my pockets as I went. This was all too easy. I knew Ion had to be having just as easy a time. My lips stretched into a lopsided smile, the way I was going we'd have enough for food as well as medicine. Bless the Feast of Fools.

I was just pulling the motherload of all coin purses from a fat pocket when I felt a tingle on the back of my neck. My breath left me and I tucked my head to the side. Using my peripherals I gazed behind me.

" Miss me Winky?" Ward's nasty grin was all I could make out. His pale skin glowed in the sunlight, his black hair like a blanket of death. His eyes, smoldering charcoal.

I whipped around and made eye contact with the man I was just about to rob.

"You nasty little thief." He hissed. "GUARDS!" He grabbed for my arm but I jumped back straight into Wards arms.

"Easy there girly." Ward laughed, his hands pinning my arms behind my back.

"Let go of me!" I hissed groping for my dagger. I gasped as Ward yanked my hood off and wrapped his hand around my throat.

"What'll it be." He paused. "Me...or the guards." He turned me to face who I can only assume was the captain of the guard. His armor matched his golden hair and he stormed towards me on an equally stormy grey horse.

"Sick bastard." I choked.

"No need to compliment me Ines." Ward chuckled.

"Fuck you." My hand found its way under the folds of my dress and I yanked the dagger from its sheath. With a grunt I stabbed it into Wards leg.

"AGhhhh." A guttural shriek escaped him.

I didn't bother to stick around, I sheathed my dagger, and ran. My fingers went to my mouth and I whistled as loudly as I could. I let out another before my route was blocked off by one of Wards goons. I slid to a stop and spun on my heel, I was running before he could grab hold to a single hair on my head.

"The next bridge." My thoughts were frantic as I bolted for the nearest bridge. I slid to a stop again when guards blocked it. Breathing heavily i glanced at all my bridges all my escape routes. All were blocked. That only left one plan. I spun around and sprinted for Notre Dame.

"Don't let her into Notre Dame!" A voice roared behind me. It wasn't Ward. I could only assume it was the captain.

Hoofbeats and footbeats thundered behind me as I ran. My saving grace had always been my speed. I jumped up the stairs not chancing a look behind me and desperately fled through the threshold of Notre Dame.