Chapter 1

I carefully moved through the streets. My eyes darted around me, avoiding eye contact but scanning faces for anyone familiar. I didn't relax even as it seemed safe. I felt coiled tight, like a threatened snake. Ready to strike if I had too. Still I slunk further into Paris, the streets grew more decrepit as I went. The hustle and bustle of the main streets with their shops and pedestrians were far behind me. I tightened my grip on a flyer and slid into an alleyway. I gave one last precautionary look and pulled back a section of plywood before slipping into the gap and breathing a sigh of relief. Safe at last.

"Did you find anything?" I snapped my head to my right and made eye contact with Ion. Ion was Romani, his hair a thick black, and his skin and eyes a deep caramel. He was thin and tall and slick as an oil spill. He could pickpocket with the best of them, I taught him everything he knows and our skills were very closely matched.

"Managed to pickpocket a bit." I reached my hand into my shift. "I got some coins and bought some bread." I tossed him a roll,and set another on the table. "I also managed to nab this." I held up a flask.

"Alcohol? I don't feel much like partying." Ion scoffed.

"It's not for drinking." I answered. We shared a knowing look. "How is he?" I asked.

"How do you think?" Ion grunted. "He lost his fucking eye. He's acting like he's fine but he's not."

"That does sound like Gordon." I chuckled dryly.

"If it gets infected..." Ion's voice drifted.

"It won't. That's what this is for." I placed the flask on the table. Well we're using it as a table, it's actually a large spool, once used to hold wire. Now used as furniture.

The room we were in was small and admittedly pretty dirty. We did our best to clean it out when we arrived a few days ago, but we didn't have much and didn't want to risk too much either. An old moth-eaten curtain cut the room in half and the only light came from a single oil lamp resting on our spool.

"Ines? Is that you?" The curtain pulled back to reveal Gordon. Gordon was a bit taller than Ion but softer. He had strong arms and a soft gut. His skin was tanned from being out in the sun and his eyes and hair were brown. A bandage was fastened around his left eye, a patch of blood seeping through.

"It's me Gordon, you should lie back down." I stood up to help him but Ion had already beaten me to his side.

"C'mon big guy, you need to rest." Ion's tone changed dramatically when talking to Gordon, it became soft and gentle. The two had been best friends their whole life.

"I'm fine Ion." Gordon shooed him away. "I can't lay down and rest anymore...we need to plan." Gordons eye settled on me. I nodded in agreement and Ion let out a defeated sigh.

"Any ideas?" Ion turned to me. They had both been my mentee's for 7 years now, first coming into my tutelage at the age of 11.

" I've got one." I placed the flyer on the table. A bright festive illustration popped out from the drab decor of our safe house.

" The Feast of Fools?" Gordon cocked his head and raised an eyebrow at me.

"The perfect cover." I responded. "While everyone is distracted by the feast we can pickpocket and maybe buy some real medicine. Once Gordon is patched up we can get out of this city." I explained. I didn't hate the city but the woods were my domain. I didn't feel safe in this concrete jungle.

"What about Ward and his goons?" Ion had his hand on his chin. "They know we're here and if they see us it's over."

"Not to mention soldiers." Gordon chimed in. "I heard the captain of the guard is no one to mess with."