Chapter - 1: A Piece of Rock

Ding!

[Please open the status menu.]

Why did it have to be a failure?

Through tear stained eyes she looked at the stone in her palm, greyish black in color, rough and jagged in shape. A simple appearance alike any piece of rock you would find anywhere, where it not for the strange runes engraved in a piece of it's surface.

I did everything right.

Did the ritual right like all the others.

Ding!

[Please open the status menu.]

Unaware or ignoring the sound of a bells chime she took a deep look onto the item in her hand.

Carved into the stone were old runic symbols of unknown origins. However, most of it's letters were drawn like scribbles onto it's surface in jagged lines with very few that were similar in appearance to any Brimiric rune crafting techniques so it was hard to say.

So why does this keep happening?

Her professor, Sir Colbert, had roughly translated a few of the few readable runes to 'heart'. The only other recognizable etchings were the ones that were engraved when she binded it as her familiar, albeit this time the runes were in the form of old Brimiric that needed time to translate. An interesting and curious piece of information but ultimately worthless to her current situation.

Turning the stone to it's side, she inspected anything off value yet found nothing but the blue engravings that only lit a small portion of her table in white light.

What was this?

Ding!

[Please open the status menu.]

A validation is what it was supposed to be. An undeniable proof it should have been.

Yet there was nothing to be found except for a cheap night light!

Her fingers curled around the jagged rock and clenched hard onto the stone surface.

Why couldn't it be anything else? A manticore, a bear, hell even a small lizard!

Proof that I'm not the zero that they thought she was! So the mocking would stop and the respect to be earned.

And yet all she summoned was this! At least they were useful! Proof of her potential as a mage! Nothing like this piece of rock that she knew they thought she faked!

The few reasons she hadn't been called out for expulsion for faking and failing the sacred ritual right then and there was because the faculty present to supervise the event have been there to validate her summon as a genuine familiar by proxy of an actual magical connection between her and the stone along with negative proof of faking, though even they seemed skeptical.

It was out of pity, technicality and fear from her mother that Headmaster Osmond still allowed her to attend the academy. Not a single one was an proud achievement of her own to call that allowed her to stay on academy grounds and avoiding expulsion. Not a single one.

Eyes watered again, her breath turning haggard with clenched and grinding teeth. Her heart beating erratically in her anger. Yet before her silent seething could grow into something more volatile she began reciting a mantra, an old yet reliable piece her mother had ingrained in her mind when she was little over six, to calm herself.