Chapter - 5: Interlude: The Search

It was late at night in Tristania, the capital city of Tristan. It was an old city, home to over seven-hundred thousand people. It was old but it glorious, built from the time when Brimir still walked among his followers, a city in which bares the title of The Illustrious Capital. A title earned by the coronal lights that lit the city by night that could be seen from any corner, a phenomenon caused by the First Prince to show it's resplendent beauty to any traveler and foreign dignitary that stayed for the night.

It was protected by three walls that also served to separate the main districts of the city, for the capital was so vast and large it stretched nearly beyond the horizon that it needed to be divided into several districts and sections.

Buildings of brick and wood stood at the periphery of the city, claiming a vast majority of the landscape. Small businesses and homes claimed these buildings with a few belonging to large companies. In the east wing of the city of these businesses lay the majority of the commoner blacksmiths and to the west of it worked the herbalists and other medical professionals from small clinics to large hospitals.

In the inner districts of the city lay the homes and property of the nobility and even wealthier commoners. Trade and merchandise prospered here and the more enchanted of items were found here.

Yet all these districts paled in comparison to the core of the city, the point where it all began: the Royal Palace.

Tall and imposing yet still holding an aura of majesty and holiness, the Royal Palace was more akin to a grand church rather than the home of royalty.

Protected by ancient seals and the worshipped void magic, what once started as a humble manor turned into a mighty fortress that would take the power of a True Dragon to even have a chance to move the bricks of it's majestic walls. A home for a lineage that bared the purest blood of the Founder.

A lineage that founded the city of Tristania itself, and subsequently the founding of the Kingdom of Tristan, when the city was but a budding settlement but has now since grown to the size it has now.

Yet that was not important for tonight, for while the city was lively even with the stars in dark shy a meeting was happening in a secluded room atop one of the many towers of the Cathedral of Saint Marie.

XoX

"I have had enough of these greenskins!" A man in white armor slammed his fist on the table. "We've been losing hundreds of troops every week now ever since they gained foothold in the Barony and the nobles who sent them are demanding compensation!"

In the room of the high tower a meeting was being held between high ranking individuals of the Brimiric Church. They all sat around a table, many a members of the church gathered around to discuss the spreading of the faith. But that was not the topic of today; rather it was the protection of the faith instead.

The man in white had a retinue of other armored soldiers behind him, showing a similar displeasure on their faces.

"I concur with Paladin Foster, the longer this incursion of ours persists the more our coffers will dwindle." A portly clergyman said.  

The priest turned to look at a black clothed individual seating by the table, leaning on it's surface as behind him were several armed men wearing similar black clothing with the sigil of the Inquisition on their shoulders.

"No matter how small the drain is it will still pile up the longer this goes on! The troops stationed on Barony should attack any orc tribe they find and exterminate them like you were originally sent to do, Inquisitor!"

"And what will you have us do?" The Inquisitor said. "We were sent in to deal with a necromancer cult with mere orcs in the way of our objective. Instead of ramshackle forts and mounds we find that the greenskins had a stronger hold of the Barony than expected, which may I remind you, you have neglected to mention."