Past

CHAPTER 9

{Xavier Knight}

{3 years ago}

"Are you serious? After everything, this is what you do?" I say, looking down at my now ex-girlfriend; heartbroken.

"I can't control how I feel Xavier. I don't know what you want me to tell you," Jennifer shrugs like it's no big deal, how can someone switch so easily?

"Jennifer! We were together for 4 fucking years, and then you cheated on me! Did I mean nothing to you?" I was now getting mad, how the fuck can someone do something like that, "I can't believe I ever fell in love with you."

"I didn't cheat on you Xavier, I left you a note," she defends, there is no way she is serious right now, "and I did really love you, I just love him more and he loves me."

"A note? Really? You didn't even have the decency to talk to me face to face!" I scoff in disbelief.

"No, I know how you would've reacted. You would've gotten upset and also you haven't been home," she huffs, "maybe if you were there I wouldn't go to someone else."

"I was gone for a fucking week. One week," I mumble, I'm so done.

"It doesn't matter. I'm with him now and I'm happy. Let me be happy, Xavier," She concludes, walking away and disappearing into the VIP lounge where her boyfriend was waiting.

I had pulled her into this hallway; while she was walking out of the bathroom, so I could talk to her alone. A part of me was hoping she would say this is some kind of fucked up joke; that she loves me and wouldn't fuck my enemy while I was gone. It was not a joke.

I watch through the glass as she walks towards him and whispers something in his ear, he smiles and kisses her. Okay, I'm out of here.

My entire drive home all I can think about is Jennifer, I glance down at the velvet box in my cupholder; I was going to propose. That obviously didn't happen. I heard her talking about a specific ring she wanted but I had to travel to get it, getting it resized and engraved with our names took longer than I had expected; it took a week.

The week I had gone to get the perfect ring, she was fucking him. I was so sure she was going to say yes, it was going to change our lives... I mean I guess she thought of changing our lives in a different way.

The day I got back from the trip; yesterday, I went up to my room to put away the ring and plan how I was going to do this. I found a note on my bed along with the promise ring I gave Jen 2 years prior. I was so confused until I wasn't.

(Flashback, to yesterday)

Fuck, I'm so nervous.

Will she say yes? Yeah, it's been 4 years she'll say yes. How am I going to do this?

I walk into the elevator in my house; pressing the 3rd floor. I walk towards my room when it opens, and walk into my room shutting the door behind me.

The first thing I see is a note on my bed, I walk over and pick it up before opening it and see something fall out. I recognize it right away 'what is Jen's ring doing here?' I wonder.

I start reading:

Dear Xavier,

You will read this when you are back from your trip, it's been 3 days since you have been away. Now, the reason I'm writing this. I am in love with Cameron. Before I did anything with him I wanted to end this, so here it is... we are over. I know you love me and I love you too but I don't want to be with you anymore. Anyways I didn't want to text you about it because that would be a bitch move. By the time you see this, I will be moved in with Cameron. I know you hate him but I don't.

Lots of love, Jennifer.

What. The. Fuck. No, this has got to be a joke. I mean, my Jen would never do something like this... this cannot be serious.

I grab my phone and call Jen, there is no way she is serious... I go straight to voicemail.

No, she wouldn't do this.

I sit on my bed, gripping the ring and note in my hand while placing my head on top of my hands.

No, she wouldn't, I'll talk to her. We'll fix this- it's a joke, it is!

(end of flashback)

I tried calling Jen a few more times after that but she didn't pick up so I made up my mind to talk to her the next day.

I guess that's all cleared up now.

I started dating Jen when I was 17 and we have been strong since then so this came out of nowhere.

I still feel so confused by everything that has occurred in the past 24 hours- why does it feel like I'm never going to be happy again?

What the fuck do I do with this ring? I don't want it near me. I don't want to be reminded of her ever again.

Well, that was impossible we live in the same city, fuck, I'll see her almost every day, God why did she have to do this.

I continue driving and an hour later, end up at a random beach, why have I never been here before?

I get out of my car and walk deeper into the beach, there is no one there. Maybe cause its night.

It was relaxing though, it seemed isolated, I lay on the sand and just process everything that happened these past 2 days.

I close my eyes for a moment, just a moment.

When I finally open my eyes, I see the sun starting to come up. What? how long have I been here?

I check my phone for the time, 5:30 AM, I've been here for 5 hours and I didn't even realize it had been that long.

I pin this location on my phone, knowing I will come back often, and start walking towards my car, ready to go home.

As I sit in my car my eyes trail back to the ring and I take it out of my cupholder and walk back towards the beach, I throw it into the water as far as I can.

Feeling satisfied, I walk back to my car and start driving home.

Holy shit, this has been some day.