A Searing Burst of Light

I was woken up by Alina nudging me. "Cartographers, listen up. We're almost there. Pack up and be ready to leave. And if you lose anything, you will not be getting a replacement." 

 I step outside the wagon, to be greeted with the fold.

"We are never going to see it go away. This abomination is here forever." Alexi says.

"You don't go to church. A Saint who can summon the sun will destroy it." A girl answers.

"I'd like to see even one person who isn't scared of that." A boy comments.

"I bet I know someone. Mal. He isn't afraid of anything." The girl remarks.

Alina smiles to herself. "You'd be surprised." Me and Alina loop arms making our way to camp.

"Alina! Lillian!" I turn around to see Mal smiling down at us.

"When did you get in?" Alina questions. 

"Yesterday. Everyone's getting their assignments." He answers.

"Suppose cartography's heading back south." I laugh as Mal loops his is arms around both me and Alinas neck.

"Yeah, I found out cause they're putting my unit with yours again. They're looking for a way through the mountains." He explains.

"Oh! So, we're back together?" Alina asks. 

"They can't keep three best friends apart for too long." Mal states.

"Corporal Oretsev, are you saying you miss me?" Alina jokes.

"Well, I need someone to take the fall for my petty crimes, that's all." Mal chuckled.

"Oh, they moved our tent." I acknowledge.

"Yeah, it's down that end now." Mal replies.

"So many First Army here. We look like a halfway house, accepting donations." Alina giggles.

"Actually, I won't be accepting any donations -because I won this betting on a fight." Mal flashes money in our faces.

"Huh? Look at you. Flush with five wholeâ kruge? What will you do with foreign money? We're not in Ketterdam." I joke.

"Don't crush my dreams." Mal puts a hand on his heart.

"Again! Inferni! Nice." Our conversation was interrupted by two Grisha. One set fire to the target while the other blew the fire out with air.

"This is why our tents got moved. Grisha wanted more space." Mal spat.

"That's ignorant," I mutter.

"Show-offs. They're always picking on us when their general's not around." Mal mumbles.

"It's like home all over again." Alina smirks.

"It wasn't all bad. We learned some good life lessons back then." Mal remarks.

"Yeah? Care to share with the class?" I laugh.

"One, don't cry in public."

"Hide your emotional breakdown for when you're alone. Obviously." Alina giggles.

"Two, always carry a weapon on you."

"Always." I state.

"There's a third I can't remember." 

"Open her up, we're loading!" Someone shouts causing us to look over to see a ship.

"That looks new." I comment.

"Brand-new. Grisha call it ultralight. Made by their own Fabricators. It's supposed to be faster." Mal informs.

"What happened to the last one?" Alina questions.