35.

Eddy saw how Brett tensed up when there was a knock on the hospital door, felt how his hand twitched, and heard the tiny, scared whimper that escaped his lips. All this despite the calming medication he had been given to ease the panic attacks.

The knocking didn't scare Eddy, though. He knew who would be behind the door, because he was the one to call them.
"Come in," he said softly, running his thumb over the back of Brett’s hand to soothe him.

A nurse peeked inside.
"Hey there," he said with a small smile. "There's two police officers here who want to chat. Do you feel okay seeing them, Brett?"

"T…the police?" Brett asked, eyes widening. "Why is the p…police here?"

Eddy squeezed his hand again to grab his attention.
"Because he hurt you, Bretty," he explained softly, running the tip of his tongue over his lower lip. "I've told them everything I know, but they need to hear it from you to make an arrest."

"Nonono, please… he'll find out, Eddy, he'll know and he'll be so very angry…" Brett protested, his breathing accelerating as he looked up at Eddy with pleading eyes. Pleading and scared.

"He won't, Brett, the police are going to help you get a restraining order and they're gonna make sure you're safe," Eddy assured softly, feeling for him. The man had terrorized him for such a long time, of course he'd be scared to tell on him. Anyone would be. "I'll make sure."

He could see how Brett doubted that. The hesitation in his eyes, the flickering gaze from the door to his face and down to where his hand rested in Eddy's.

"Is he gonna go to prison?" Brett asked as a shaky whisper, avoiding Eddy's gaze. It was easy to tell that Brett felt torn about it.

"If you help the police out, then probably, yeah," Eddy answered truthfully, not really understanding how Brett possibly could love that excuse of a man still. He tried to be understanding, though. "Where he cannot hurt you anymore."

Brett nodded a bit.
"Where he cannot hurt me anymore," he repeated as a whisper, closing his eyes for a moment. His lower lip trembled.

"Exactly," Eddy nodded, stroking the back of his hand. He glanced up at the nurse who still waited patiently for an answer.

It was quiet for a moment, while Brett was thinking and considering. Eddy felt like holding his breath.

"Okay," Brett squeaked quietly. "I'll talk to them."

"I'll send them in," the nurse smiled, slipping out again to tell the officers it was okay. A moment later, a taller man with friendly eyes and soft looking hair, and a shorter woman with light brown curls and the kind of understanding look you'd get from a mother walked in. Both were in plain clothes, but had their badges hanging around their necks on simple silver chains.

"Hi, Brett," the woman said softly, giving the scared man in the bed a small, sympathetic smile. "I'm detective Hahn, and this is detective Chen, but you can call us Hilary and Ray. We have a few questions for you, if you feel ready?"