Oviraptors

Oviraptor is a very unique dinosaur with some rather strange features. Instead of teeth it has a beak and something not seen in any other dinosaur: a pair of teeth in the roof of its mouth. The reason it got its name is that when it was first discovered Oviraptor was sitting on a nest of eggs. It was thought it was stealing the eggs of another dinosaur. Years later, it was found that the eggs were its own and that it was trying to protect them from an approaching sandstorm.

Oviraptor has another unusual feature - it has a thin crest of bone on its forehead. This crest seems to have grown and changed throughout its entire life. It may have been used as a form of individual identification or to differentiate gender. Also, different species of the Oviraptor genus had different crests. It is not clear what Oviraptor ate. Though it probably still included the eggs of other dinosaurs, it had very strong jaws, making some think that it would have eaten shellfish that it could easily crack open. Others argue that it must have been an herbivore as its skull did not show characteristics for meat-eating.

Name meaning
Egg thief
Diet
Omnivore
Height
1 meter (3 feet)
Length
2 meters (6 feet)
Weight
30 kg (66 pounds)
Location
Mongolia
Range
Malta
Birth type
Egg
Movie appearances
Jurassic World: Dominion prologue
Jurassic World Dominion (Extended Edition)
Notable Game appearances
Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (Game Gear)
Jurassic Park III: Park Builder
Jurassic World: Alive